We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card at the Airport?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge...
reviews: 22
Sim Card at the Airport?

Hi,

Is there a vendor in the airport that sells pre-paid sim cards? I'll be traveling to Australia in a few months and would like to get a pre-paid sim card for my unlocked phone when I arrive.

Thanks!

atlanta
1. Re: Sim Card at the Airport?

Hi,

I arrived at Melbourne airport last month and purchased a pre-paid sim card at Vodafone. However, if you are traveling to any remote areas, Vodafone service is unavailable. For example, we were unable to get service on Kangaroo Island or on a boat at the GBR. No problem in the cities. Telstra service is broader. I'm not sure if they have a shop at the airport but it would be easy to check ahead of time.

Paris, France
reviews: 69
2. Re: Sim Card at the Airport?

Hi cambridgechica

There is a Telstra shop in the Qantas domestic terminal on the first flor (departures level). It's open from 7.00 - 19.00 or 20.00 depending on the day.

As mentioned in the previous post, coverage can be patchy outside the main cities and towns for some mobile carriers. Telstra is not particularly cheap for prepaid, so take into account where you are travelling to.

Hope this helps

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
3. Re: Sim Card at the Airport?

And to be honest - why get one the moment you set foot in the country. Wait until you get into the CBD (or wherever your staying). An hour wont make a difference and you will have more choice...

all post offices, supermarkets have prepaid sim card areas plus mobile phone shops are a dime a dozen in the streets.

4. Re: Sim Card at the Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 28, 2010