We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emigrating to Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ivanhoe, Melbourne
Emigrating to Melbourne

I am emigrating to Melbourne at the beginning of November 2005, although we have been to Australia we have never been to Melbourne. We are initially staying in an apartment in South Yarra until we find somewhere more permanent. We would like to live in a suburb not too far and with easy access to the city. I have 2 children aged 12 and 13, they are both into competitive swimming and my boy is also into bmx and kiting, (he is always watching the Extreme channel on tv) Where we live will depend mainly on a good school for the children - I welcome suggestions of places to live and to avoid.

Many thanks

Karen

Melbourne
reviews: 9
1. Re: Emigrating to Melbourne

Hi Karen. In relation to your kids swimming there are swimming clubs all over Melbourne. A number of the more elite clubs are based at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre(MSAC), site of the swimming for the upcoming Commonwealth games, which is 5 minutes drive from South Yarra. The only downside to a club there is it may not be great to get to/from for early morning and afternoon training once you move out to the suburbs. I don't know whether you are looking for a private school or a government school for your kids. If private one area to consider may be around the inner north eastern suburbs in a suburb like Ivanhoe, just 15 minutes by train to the city. Has two private schools (one mixed and the other girls only) and both schools have Swimming clubs based in their onsite pools. Makes training easier if the kids can just walk to or from school afterwards. If you want any info on swimming clubs in other areas you are considering please let me know. As you may have guessed I also have a swimmer in the family.

Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
2. Re: Emigrating to Melbourne

It all depends on your price range.

Most inner beachside suburbs can be quite expensive for something of decent size (i.e Port Melbourne, Middle Park, St Kilda, Brighton) can go frm $400-$500k plus and thats just a starter for a 3 bedroom in decent condition.

The Gardenvale/Brighton/Bentleigh area's all have a good number of private schools. Gardenvale and Bentleigh would be slightly cheaper and is a bit inland but wouldn't be more than 10-15 mins from the beach. Even areas like Malvern, Armadale and Ormond maybe more in the price range.

There are some good schools in the Sth Yarra/ Prahran area but once again the type of housing is mainly terrace houses or apartments (once again depending on what your after) anything freestanding with a sizeable garden will be a lot more.

Alternatively you could look at areas a little bit further out along the monash Freeway such as Glen Waverley - only about 20 mins to the city by car (on a train line though) and 25 to the beach and a fairly affluent area. That has a number of private schools including a campus of the prestigious Wesley College.

If you require any info on more specific area's let me know.

Andy

If you want to get a good idea of property prices grab a map of Melbourne, draw aline up to 10 klms from the centre of the city and check the website - www.domain.com.au

It is a real estate listing service for estate agents and it will give you a guide in most cases (note we have a very large "auction" system for home purchasing in the inner suburbs)

Ivanhoe, Melbourne
3. Re: Emigrating to Melbourne

Thanks very much for your replies, they were very informative. I have checked out that property website and it is excellent, I'm sure it will come in very useful. Looking forward to our new life in Australia.