We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice required!

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Advice required!

We're booked to stay in Barwon Heads for 3 weeks in August. We are travelling with 3 children - the oldest is 2. Could you advise what we could expect weather-wise? We are unsure whether we will need to bring lots of jumpers and coats or if it will be milder than we are imagining.

Also, we aren't just planning on spending the 3 weeks in Barwon Heads, we are just using it as a base and are free to go and stay a couple of nights here and there. Could you advise whether you think that it would be worth staying over at Phillip Island, as I believe that there is a lot to do there especially with children. We were planning a day trip but I'm unsure whether we would be better staying longer.

Any advise you can offer is welcome!

melbourne
reviews: 1
1. Re: Advice required!

The average daytime temp in Geelong (not too far from Barwon Heads) in August is about 15C (59F). Overnight the average is about 8C (46F). I would definitely bring a warm jacket or coat and some jumpers.

For more weather info see

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/

I would definitely plan to stay over in Phillip Island. If you want to see the penguin parade, they don't appear until it is almost dark and the drive back is not one I would want to do in the dark in winter.

England
2. Re: Advice required!

Thanks very much (and how great having a winter that's around 15C!)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 42
3. Re: Advice required!

Millymoo, have just returned from doing a bit of surfing very close to Barwon Heads. I love that part of Victoria and there is heaps to do, not sure about the children, you have 3 and the oldest is 2...is that correct..??

Barwon Heads will be quiet at that time of year and you are surrounded by beaches, on the river and also the ocean beaches at 13th and Ocean Grove. It will be too cold for swimming though with a water temp around 13C. Phillip Island is about a 3 to 4 hour drive from BH but you can make it a bit quicker by taking the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento, bypassing driving through Melbourne. It is also a lovely ferry ride and you may get to see the bay dolphins as you cross. I was in the UK for the first time in Feb this year and I understand what you mean about temps of around 15C for winter. It can feel as cold though from time to time down there if the wind is coming off the water, but won't ever feel any colder than your normal winter temps.

To the west of you is Torquay with the surf museum and then Anglesea with the golf course and it's resident kangaroo's. About an hour from BH is the start of the Great Ocean Road but be warned that the roads can be windy and that may lead to some car sickness, maybe not the trip for little ones. Warnambool is another great location about 3 hours west for families and kids love it there. A little hidden gem is a place called Anakie and Fairy Park, I am sure the kids and yourselves will love it there, it is about an hour from BH by car.

Will

Naples, Italy
4. Re: Advice required!

millymoo three weeks is a very long time to stay in barwon heads in the middle of winter - so rug up!

There is a great cafe for amazing pizzas and home-made antipasti plate full of local produce in Barwon called Barwon Orange in the main strip of Hitchcock Avenue

I suggest trips down to the Great Ocean Road with many of the coastal towns easily accessible in day trips:

Torquay for the surf, La Grecque restaurant at 60 Great Ocean Rd, Aireys Inlet for great food (second offering from legendary owners of Greek restaurant Kostas' in Lorne) and the beach town of Lorne is nice for a walk around. Lorne is a summer weekend getaway for Melbourne's rich, while Queenscliff is a very pretty Aussie beachside town - something you might find around Cornwall perhaps.

England
5. Re: Advice required!

Thanks for the information everyone, it's really helpful. Yes my eldest child is 2 and my baby will be 8 months. We are travelling with relatives and they have a 1 year old. It must sound crazy! But we are coming to have a really good look around at the area as we are all thinking of moving out in the next couple of years. August is the only time we can visit as 2 of the party are teachers. If we run short of things to do then we may spend a few days in Melbourne or Sydney to break things up. I daren't fix an itinery with having such young children with us.