We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 full days in outer melbourne

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 8
6 full days in outer melbourne

my family (with one 4 yr old boy and one 1-1/2 yr old boy) is going to have 6-full days holiday with following preliminary itinery in coming feb. we drive. pls advise & suggest.

2 days philip island (penguin parade, chocolate factory, maze, nobbies, churnhill farm, koala conservation park)

1 day waribee open range zoo, strawberry farm in mornington peninsular

1 day puffing billy train

2 days GOR and geelong.

??

20 replies to this topic
Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
1. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

The Werribee Open Range Zoo is in Werribee, which is no where near the Mornington Peninsular. You cannot do these in the one day.

If you are just going to the Mornington Peninsular to pick strawberries, that is a complete waste of time. You will probably also find that there is something similar to that on Phillip Island or along the GOR.

The Werribee Open Range Zoo is great, especially for kids, but you will want to spend 5 hours or so there to see and do everything. They also have a great little water section where fake animals squirt water from their mouths and the kids can run under the water, so bring some spare clothes so they can do that.

Note though the Werribee Zoo focuses mainly on African animals or the kinds of animals you see if you are going on safari in Africa. If you want to see a wide range of animals or Australian animals such as Koalas and Kangaroos, you need to go to the Melbourne Zoo or Healesville Sanctuary.

2. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

Not sure how long the Puffing Billy train takes but have a feeling there are berry farms in that part of Melbourne, around Silvan. Etc. You may be able to do that if you have your car afterwards.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
3. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

Hi Phyllis,

What else did you plan to do while visiting the Mornington Peninsula? As mentioned, it's a region on the other side of the city to Werribee, so it's not practical to do both in one day. There's a great Berry farm in Teesdale, which is just out of Geelong & not too far from Werribee. which would be a better option.

http://www.summersensations.com.au/index.html

Alternately, there are fruit farms around Woori Yallock which could be included with your Puffing Billy visit, as also mentioned. I highly recommend visiting Rayners Stonefruit Orchard as they have a tractor ride around the farm & you get to try whatever stonefruit is in season.

http://www.farmsoftheyarravalley.com.au/home/

Hong Kong, China
4. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

thanks a lot.

I found the Rayners Stonefruit Orchard is attractive. Is it close to Puffing Billy train ?

Hong Kong, China
5. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

so for the above routes, may you please tell us where we can have seafood, like australian oysters and lobster. We tried them in Tasmania and memorable. We want to try again.

Last year holiday, we cannot find in Perth, hope we can try again in our holiday!!!

Mount Isa, Australia
reviews: 141
6. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

" Last year holiday, we cannot find in Perth, hope we can try again in our holiday!!!"

I cannot believe that you could not find seafood in Perth! It can be found pretty much anywhere, even at the local supermarket.

As for seafood, are you looking for an actual seafood restaurant, or just restaurants that have a few seafood items or a market where you can buy direct?

Are you coming to Australia just to go to the places listed in your original post or are you visiting other parts as well - just so we know where to give you suggestions for.

"I found the Rayners Stonefruit Orchard is attractive. Is it close to Puffing Billy train ?"

It is 30 mins north of Puffing Billy, have a look at Google Maps and use the 'get directions' function.

Hong Kong, China
7. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

thanks for reply.

We are visitors from Hong Kong and visited Tasmania and Perth in last two year February. In coming Feb, we planned to visit Melbourne outside (we have visited the city years before), and will visit the areas listed above for 6 days.

so, Pls advise the cooked foodstall / restaurants (we may not cook ourselves) in these areas. We are v impressed by the fresh oysters in Tasmania beach side and Hobart harbour side; cannot find a similar stalls in Perth!

thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

Phyllis, Rayner's is doable the same day you do Puffing Billy as you will have a car. You will need to check the Puffing Billy timetable & Rayner's opening hours though to make sure you time it properly. You will get to see a bit of Mt Dandenong as well, so do some research about what else you can see while you are there.

As far a seafood, South Melbourne Market has an Oyster Bar at one of the seafood stalls, you can buy freshly shucked Oysters to eat on the spot. Or you can buy the to take away (assuming you like them raw). There should be some cold, cooked seafood as well, which you can also take with you. South Melbourne Market is open Sat, Sun, Wed & Fri. There are restaurants as well, if you want suggestions, please give us an indication of budget.

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

Thanks, Ellen.

but are there any other fresh seafood /ready to eat stalls on my ways to the tour scences?

thx.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: 6 full days in outer melbourne

I'm sure there are, I'm just not familiar with them to recommend. I'm sure Geelong will have seafood options.

Reply to: 6 full days in outer melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted