We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
reviews: 7
Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Visiting Oz Jan 2014 and wanting to drive down coast from Sydney to Adelaide possibly via the Grampians. We don't want to prebook accomodation as that reduces our flexibility. Will we be able to find places to stay on the day we arrive or are places booked up well in advance? Guess our bit is about $140 per night.

How long should we allow for Sydney to Melbourne leg and then the Melbourne to Adelaide leg allowing us to see plenty of the area?

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

january is peak holiday season.

very risky to wing it accommo wise on the coastal route. however if u stick to the non holiday destinations on the main hwy for accommo (which is not always easy in some areas eg. the GOR) u may have a chance.

just be sure u start looking before 3pm.

5 days on each leg should be a minimum to get the best out of it.

Edited: 2:08 pm, April 04, 2013
Doncaster, United...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Hi. Thanks for quick reply.

We had thought about 15 days would allow us to see plenty without rushing anything so seems we should be ok with that. W

e are also wondering about hiring a campervan rather than car. Had. A few quotes and they are exorbitantly expensive when taken with the full insurance but might give us more flexibility. Are there places we would be able to park up for free and overnight or is that not an option on this route either safety wise or law wise?

Have travelled quite a bit in Australia in the past but never in this area or during peak hols so difficult to know what to expect.

Any help or advice much appreciated!

South Pole
3. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

'free camping' is difficult. i know in my area the councils (south coast nsw) move people on. and they patrol rigorously during the holidays.

dont know about victoria and SA.

and the holiday parks/camping grounds'/national park camping fill up at xmas holidays.

i am not a campervan fan. did years of caravanning in my youth. so am over it all. cant see the economics in vanning plus having to pack up everything just to go into town for a coffee or the paper does not appeal.

however 15 days would be great whatever u decide to do.

Edited: 4:47 pm, April 04, 2013
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
4. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Can you change it from January? That would alleviate the potential accommodation difficulties. The other thing I thought worth mentioning is in January you would really want somewhere airconditioned to sleep.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Honestly, in January you are unlikely to find vacancies in any pleasant accommodation or caravan park anywhere along the coast of NSW or Victoria. And at that time of year, the local councils have rangers out and about to move on (or fine) anyone camping beside the road or on a beach.

For the kind of trip you have in mind, you need to visit outside our school holiday period, which runds from a bit before Christmas until the end of January.

Sydney
reviews: 28
6. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

If anything the least likely places to sell out are the roadside motels. The beachside caravan parks/cabins you'd want to be booking right now for the January period. It is a nice time of year to do the trip, you just need to plan a bit more and book where you want to stay.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
7. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

It occurs to me, perhaps for an overseas visitor we should clarify, when we say it's peak holiday season we don't simply mean it's summer so that's when overseas visitors enjoy visiting and when locals like to travel. Btw the country is so large that the northern areas are in the tropics so you can't generalise about the climate anyway, it's not simply summer all over. But getting back to your plan, the thing is January is the summer school holidays so most families with school age kids are limited to going somewhere during this time, and being hot it's when they like to head for the beach, so some of those coastal towns double and triple their population.

Edited: 11:58 pm, April 04, 2013
South Pole
8. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

"so some of those coastal towns double and triple their population"

even quadruple :-(

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
9. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

I suspected so, but without spending time searching for something to verify it the only one I was sure of was the Bay has been reported as tripling.

melbourne
reviews: 88
10. Re: Sydney to Great Ocean Road accommodation in Jan

Golden Beach in Victoria along 90 mile beach is free.Not much there apart from beautiful beach though.