We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary please!!

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manjimup
reviews: 1
Help with itinerary please!!

We arrive 3 Feb in Hobart and leave from there early on 16th. Plan to spend middle weekend in Hobart as only time to get to see Salamanca markets so need to do a trip to do Gordon River cruise and see Cradle Mountain etc then back to Hobart then east coast and launceston in second week and back to Hobart. Is this possible or should we forget the markets if it makes the trip too difficult.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
1. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

A big figure 8 like that is quite possible to do in the time available.

You would need to set out for Strahan immediately on arrival here as it's a full day's drive, plus you'll need at least one full day in Strahan for the cruise. From Strahan, head through Zeehan to Cradle Mountain and head back to Hobart via the Midland Highway. That should get you back to Hobart in time for the markets on 9th with maybe a day to tarry somewhere along the way.

The east coast circle should be a little easier in the time available in the second week.

Luigi

2. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, May 10, 2013
manjimup
3. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

Thank you so much for speedy replies-was thinking of going to Cradle first 2 nights then Strahan for 2-but can rearrange.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
4. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

It doesn't matter which way you do that first circle. Going directly to Cradle would be another viable option. The issue is that you need to do that first circle immediately; not after spending a few days in Hobart.

And Salamanca markets is easily Australia's finest regular market. It's worth the effort. :)

5. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:00 am, May 10, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
6. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

As Luigi states a figure 8 would be the best if wanting to see the majority of Tassie, similar to the itinerary below -

Sunday, 3 February 2013 Hobart. depending what time you arrive

you could go straight to Strahan

Monday, 4 February 2013 Strahan

Tuesday, 5 February 2013 Strahan

Wednesday, 6 February 2013 Cradle Mt

Thursday, 7 February 2013 Cradle Mt

Friday, 8 February 2013 Hobart

Saturday, 9 February 2013 Hobart

Sunday, 10 February 2013 Hobart

Monday, 11 February 2013 Coles Bay

Tuesday, 12 February 2013 Coles Bay

Wednesday, 13 February 2013 St Helens

Thursday, 14 February 2013 Launceston

Friday, 15 February 2013 Launceston

Saturday, 16 February 2013 Depart

For a very unbiased opinion on the Salamanca Markets, because I HATE shopping with a passion, and my wife drags me to every market around the world and in Australia. So with this I would have to say, Salamanca Markets would have to be in the top markets I've been to, and I have been to hundreds. I will concede that they're not as good as the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

And where else can you get a curried scallop pie, Mmmm :o)

Sorry hh, if you want tons of imported naff, go to the Vic Markets.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 2:33 am, January 10, 2013
7. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:55 am, May 13, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
8. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

bevzy, good point hh makes, because accommodation is/will go fast, also good weekend to be there as well, lots on. If you don't like crowds, what time do you leave on Saturday 16 Feb, if afternoon and returning vehicle to airport, opportunity to see markets that morning.

Robert

Edited: 8:43 pm, January 10, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
9. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

royalhobartregatta.com/…20Festival.html

That would b a good reason for me to be there that weekend. something a bit different.

Market wise, either you are or aren't a market person.

If Markets are your thing then yes go to Salamanca. Personally I like the setting

manjimup
10. Re: Help with itinerary please!!

Thanks so much everyone-wow-had not been able to find this posting again until now!! We can stay with friends in Hobart so all good and have bonus for my partner of wooden boat show -yes he loathes markets. Curried scallop pie-ooo yeah and Istanbul may be next destination! Now onto another post as such super helpful replies.