We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 6
Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Hi, we intend travel to Cradle Mountain from Hobart and stay 1 night there, and back to Hobart the next day. Any advice on which route to take? And where should we stop over along the way? And roughly how long will the journey be?

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
1. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

The shortest route is up the A1 Midland and Bass Highways to Elizabeth Town and then via Railton and Sheffield. It's about 5 hours driving each way with no stops.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
2. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

As Luigi said, for someone who has never driven the A 1 route through Sheffieldto Cradle Mt it will take you approximately 5 hours. So if you want to see Cradle Mountain and enjoy it, you will have leave early from Hobart.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 11:31 pm, November 23, 2011
South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
3. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

On our most recent visit we spent a few nights at Cradle Mountain and it rained half the time and the mountain was often hidden in cloud. On my first visit we did a day trip from Launceston and the mountain was visible but the cloudy weather didn't make for good photographs. So I'm wondering what your interest in Cradle Mountain is? I love it, I love the hiking, I love the mountains, I love the landscape created by the climate, the buttongrass plains, I didn't mind sitting by the fire reading a book waiting for the weather to clear.... but, BUT, if you just want to travel all that way hoping to photograph a "must see" I'd suggest thinking about whether the reward for you is worth the effort, and maybe choosing some easier "must sees", you don't have time for them all anyway.

singapore
4. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

thanks for the replies.. my initial itinerary plan was this:-

Arr Hobart on Friday - check in sett down

Sat - Salamanca Mkt

Sun - Travel down to Huon Ville for treetop walk and visit Hasting Caves/Thermal spring

Mon - Travel up to Lake St Claire then to Cradle Mountain (Stay overnight)\

Tue - Take a short walk around Dove Lake and travel back to Hobart in late afternoon.

Wed - Leave Hobart..

Is this itinerary feasible? Or should I not travel to Cradle Mountain and stop at Lake St Claire and instead visit Mount Field National Park. My 9 year old girl is travelling with us too.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
5. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

No. It's impossible to visit both Lake St Clair and Cradle Mountain in the one day from Hobart. Lake St Clair is half way to Strahan, while Cradle Mountain is in a different direction beyond Launceston.

You really need to delete both Lake St Clair and Cradle Mountain from your itinerary and spend your brief time in the Hobart area.

singapore
6. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Thanks Luigi, guess i will be less ambitious and cover Bruny Island and Mount Field National Park instead. Or probably Port Arthur and Richmond.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
7. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

I think they would all be excellent choices. :)

Hobart, Australia
8. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Absolutely agree. Stay in the southern area. You will see amazing things and maximise your time. Mt. Field is excellent with kids. I often take my children there.

Hobart, Australia
9. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Absolutely agree. Stay in the southern area. You will see amazing things and maximise your time. Mt. Field is excellent with kids. I often take my children there.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
10. Re: Hobart to Cradle Mountain

Although it pains me to say this as I live near the Cradle Mt area, you have made a wise choice. It will give you a more relaxing but still exciting stay instead of spending 2 days driving.

Safe travels - Robert