We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
reviews: 4
Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

My Husband and I are from Perth and are planning a trip to Tasmania. Thought we spend our dollars in Australia instead of going overseas. So far we only have the following vague itinerary. We will arrive in Melbourne on Saturday 4 July at about 6am and will spend the day in Melbourne before we board the Spirit of Tasmania to Davenport. We arrive Davenport at 7am in the morning and will hire a car. We would like to drive to Cradle Mountain then on to Strachan and end up in Hobart. If anyone can please suggest an itinerary for us. How long to stay at each place, where to stay what to do. We have been married for 28 years and looking forward to some quite time alone. We realise it would be cold but love the thought of warm log fire places and nice long walks. Cheers

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
reviews: 5
1. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

A couple of ideas

1 night Cradle Mt, 2 nights Strahan (no need to arrive until late afternoon - cruise next day and drive to Hobart next morning)

4 nights in or near Hobart - Richmond might suit - 20 minute drive form Hobart. Day trips to Port Arthur/Tasman Peninsula, Tahune air walk south of Hobart, possibly Bruny Island (if so maybe spend one night south of Hobart in between Tahune day and Bruny visit)., And a day around Hobart city - Mt Wellington summit if weather (snow) allows access to the top.

An alternateive would be 2 or 3 night sin NW of the state - scenic farmland, coastal views. Maybe 2 nights Stanley allwoing for a drive to Arthur River. The real west There is a lesser known river cruise there.

Then 1 night Cradle Mt

2 nights Strahan

2 nights Hobart.

I have left the East Coast out of the ideas...it is beautiful but probably needs to a 10 day visit to include it with what you already want to do.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Dev1236 gave some great options but if this were my trip I'd spend 2 nights at Cradle Mountain and one in Strahan. Don't forget a short stop in Zeehan between Cradle and Strahan. On your way to Hobart you can make a short detour and visit Mt Field. The short walk to Russell Falls should not be missed imo. Don't underestimate distances and traveltime. Some roads are winding and slow like between Strahan and Queenstown. Stop in Queenstown to see what they did with the mountains and hills.

Tet

australia
Destination Expert
3. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

I wouldnt disagree with Tet - Cradle Mt could be worth 2 nights. Definitely worth 2 days if the weather is kind to you.

My thought re 2 nights in Strahan is to arrive late in the day to be there for the cruise next morning on the river. I think the drive from most directions is too rushed to arrive in the morning. Likewise and especially in winter driving from Strahan after the afternoon you dont want to have to drive too far, so thats my logic behind 2 nights Strahan.

It also allows you some flexibility if the weather is terrible at Cradle Mt to get out from there early on your 2nd day, and spend more time doing indoor things in the little towns between CM and Strahan.

Of course, I am only assuming Strahan is on your list for the cruise. And my travel timing is assuming you will do a full day cruise - there are half day options which dont include Sarah Island I understand.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
4. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Given your limited time it might be best to do a few areas really well, and come back next year to see the rest! Do two days in Strahan and ride the Abt (cog) railway on the second day (boat trip day 1). See www.westcoastwildernessrailway.com.au. The trip is superb - even if it's raining - which it often is in Strahan. Very romantic. Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain are must-do's, as is Salamanca Market on Saturday in Hobart. Richmond is a bit cheesy, but OK. A day trip out to the Huon Valley (Tahune Airwalk, Geeveston) is good too. Next year do the East Coast, the Heritage Highway (centre of the island) and historic Launceston.

Perth Australia
5. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Thank you so very much for your suggestions. All very much appreciated. :)

Perth Australia
6. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Also can anyone please advise where we should stay.

australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Have you decided on your overnight stops ??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
reviews: 114
8. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Perth4

we've been to Tassie several times - the first time we had 9 days and were exhausted as there is much to see and do. The roads were good, and although the distances seem short, it can take a while to drive from "A" to "B" not only because you might be on a road where you can't pass traffic or perhaps stuck behind slow traffic, but also because there are lots of beautiful waterfalls and other sites to stop and see along the way.

This site may help you plan your itinerary with the help and advice from the TA forum. http://www.discovertasmania.com/itineraries

I'd say that the must sees are definitely the Gordon River Cruise, Port Arthur, the Huon Valley - all three of these areas require an all day trip. If you go to Tahune, there's a lovely pottery shop there where disabled people make pots z(or they did when we were last there) and the pottery not only makes a nice souvenir but also helps the local community.

Cradle Mountain is good if you like walks etc, and when driving up the centre of Tassie back to Devonport, don't forget to stop and look around Ross and if you go to Launceston, Cataract Gorge Reserve too - there are more details on the web site above.

On your way to Stachan, stop and have a look at the murals at Sheffield sheffieldmurals.com.au/conference/index1.html they are really well known and have been featured on holiday programs and in magazines. Also featured in recent months was a cruise up the Savage River on the west coast - so there's an alternative to the Gordon River if you decide to spend your time in the northern part of Tassie and save the southern part for your next trip.

I think you'll find 7 days isn't enough - but it is enough to give you a taste and whet your appetite for your next trip.

Oh, and Hobart - the Salamanca markets are great and Muirs Fish Cafe at the wharf was a favourite of ours. I hope its still there and the food is still great.

Lastly, it will be cold so take clothes that keep you warm - the last time I was in Tassie was in July and the top of Wellington Mountain was absolutely freezing - most of our family stayed in the car !!

Perth Australia
9. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

I think this is what we will do:

Cradle Mountain [will arrive from Davenport mid afternoon and spend most of the next day there and leave for Strachan at about 3pm

Strachan [ 2 nights - would love to do the cruise]

Hobart [3 nights]

What do you think?

Perth Australia
10. Re: Suggestions Please 5-12 July Tasmanian Holiday

Um I am begining to realise that our trip is way too short and we will definitely need to return to Tasmania for a longer holiday - maybe next year. But for now unfortunately we only have about 7 nights. Thanks heaps for all of your suggestions - I am very appreciative and will be spending this ANZAC long weekend on the finer details of our trip.