We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
reviews: 62
Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

I will have a rental car while in Hobart and wish to do a few day trips from Hobart, but I need help with the logistics of drive time.

1. Specifically, how far of a drive is it from Hobart to Mount Wellington, and are there places of interest to see along the way that we should stop and visit? What to see and do while there?

2. How about from Hobart to Port Arthur? Same question, what is drive time and the must see stops along the say? What to see and do while there?

3. What about Freycinet National Park? Drive time from Hobart, and must see stops? What to see and do while there?

4. Same for Huon Valley. Drive time and what to see and do while there, and on the way there?

5. And last, Mount Field National Park. What is drive time there, and what do you recommend we see and do along the way? What to see and do while there?

Additionally, of these five destinations from Hobart, how would you rank in an order of 1 to 5, with 1 being highest ranking must do destination, followed by 2 through 5.

Thank you, I hope your replies will help me with my planning in Tasmania, and prioritize and logistically manage my way around to these sights and destinations. Thank you for your help.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 29
1. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Swydke

Click on google maps. Enter your info and all distances and approx drive times will be listed.

cheers

HP

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 62
2. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

I can help with no 2..Hobart to Port Arthur. takes about 1.5 hours just driving. Stops en route -Sorell fruit farm (not sure what they have justnow but they have a good cafe), Eaglehawk Neck (cafe also good)has the dog line, Officers Mess, then turn off for Pirates Bay where there is fabulous coastal scenery - Devil's Kitchen, Blowhole and Tasman Arch. Also Tesselated pavement. Remarkable Cave is also great as gives you great views to Cape Raoul. The other side of the Peninsula has great beaches....White Beach and Roaring Beach both near Nubeena and the CoalMines historic site is a nice quiet tourist site as it is unammed and free! Also nice drive down the Saltwater River road to get there.

Then there is the Port Arthur Historic Site! So as you can see you cannot possibly do all this in one day! You should stay overnight, your Port Arthur ticket allows 2 days entry and you can do the ghost tour at night and still have time to see what the peninsula really has to offer.....it is not jus the historic site. (OH forgot tomention the great Sealife Cruise fromEaglehawk Neck!)

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
3. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Good post about Port Arthur. I would add that the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park on the Port Arthur Highway at Taranna is worth a visit.

Are you committed to staying in Hobart? I agree that the Port Arthur area is worth an overnight trip and it would make more sense to continue on to Freycinet for another night than to return to Hobart only to drive back up north again the next day.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 70
4. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Good suggestion about going to Freycinet and then Port Arthur on they way back. You would definately want to spend the night at Coles Bay (Freycinet) as it is too far to go up and back in the day - about 3.5 hours on way. Lots to see on the way up.

Port Arthur can be done quiet well as a day trip if you want - we do it all the time or there is a charter boat you can catch and then a bus back.

Mount Wellington is about 20 minutes from Hobart - lots of lovely walks if you are a bush walker - stop at the Springs on the way up - it is well sign posted

Huon Valley is again a good day trip - visit the Tahune sky walk and Hastings Caved is well worth it -it is a full day if going to the caves - also hot springs at the Caves there too

Lots of great thing to do also in Hobart - Salamanca Market on Saturday. Lots of local wineries

Regards

Suzi

kyogle, nsw
reviews: 8
5. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Hi swdke,

Are you able to indicate when your trip is and how long you are in Tassie, or are you only flying to hobart for a short visit.

I totally agree with previous post. To try and put a ranking or order on your requests really depends on what one prefers to see. I personally would go 1) Huon Valley 2) Tasman Penninsula/port arthur 3) Freycinet) 4) Mt Field then 5) Mt wellington as it is only just on the outskirts of hobart- not a day trip unless you spend time up there doing many of the short walks. Tassie , as you obviously know, has so much to offer. Though there may not be much distance between specific towns, ther is so much to see along the way ( as mentioned earlier about the trip to POrt arthur). But as mentioned, you may be better to stay overnight at some places. I am planning our third trip back to tassie for 12 days for early august 08 ( we are from northern NSW-fly from Brisbane).

Do your research - as best you can. Have an idea of what you would like to see, and really it depends on the weather when you get there as to what you do. Anyway in tassie at any time of the year you can have 4 seasons weather in one day, which is why I queried as to when your trip was planned for. Our previous two trips have been in Feb and we have experienced the most bitter cold days even then, so our trip in august is going to be very very cold.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

Mt Wellington. It's located behind Hobart and overlooks it. As the crow flies probably only 10 ks or so, but the road winds quite steeply up the mountain so it take about 45 minutes from central Hobart.

If you are so inclined, and they are open on the day you decide to go up the mountain, you might like to do the Cascade Brewery tour and sampling session. Very picturesque location and grounds, interesting tour and reasonably pleasant beers.

We did the 1pm one on the way back to Hobart :-)

Cheerz Wab

7. Re: Need Logistics Help For Hobart Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 29, 2009