We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
reviews: 18
Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

Hi all

Have been trawling the forums gleaning whatever tips I can for our rather last minute trip to Tasmania. We arrive at 8.45am April 1 and leave at 1pm on April 8. Originally I was going to stay based in Hobart and not try to do too much but my husband (a bus driver who loves driving) has said he would prefer to rent a decent car and explore the island so I have come up with the route below. Is this too ambitious?

We are late 40s, travel often and pack lightly – focus is on photography and food in that order – walks need to be easy – grade 1 or 2 as I am recovering from an achilles tendon injury – I can walk fine on flat or slightly sloped surfaces but no more than about 5km a day.

Day 1(Tues) Arrive Launceston 8.45 am --> Pick up car at Airport and drive to Cradle Mountain – Plan to stay inside the park. Any accomm better than others for keen (amateur ) photograpers? – Sunset shots either Cradle Mountain or near accommodation.

Day2:(Wed ) Sunrise photography at Dove Lake - Walk the circuit – depart Cradle Mountain early afternoon (1pm ish) to Coles Bay – possible sunset shots somewhere en route? Overnight Coles Bay

Day 3(Thur) Coles Bay – Freycinet Walk- I might need to give this a miss but hubby will do it, explore local beaches – is the Wineglass Bay cruise a good option consider the bung foot? - sunset shoot - Overnight Coles Bay

Day 4 (Friday) – Travel to Port Arthur – Tour – lookouts – cruise? - Overnight Port Arthur

Day 5 (Sat) – Sunrise photos along coast – any tips for best spots (Tasman Arch or Remarkable Caves lookouts on my list) should I leave Port Arthur today mid-morning and to go to Hobart for the Market or spend an extra day here? Is there an alternative market on Sundays in Hobart?

Day 6 (Sun) Hobart. - Mona, Louisa’s walk, museums? – not sure yet will depend on weather

Day 7 (Mon): Mount Field day trip – waterfalls, Richmond if possible also.

Day 8 (Tues) : Hobart – Sunrise from Mount Wellington – breakfast at Battery Point and then depart for Sydney early afternoon

any feedback on specific route from Launceston to Cradle Mountain and Cradle Mountain to East coast much appreciated. Have not booked any accommodation yet – Gosh it’s expensive isn’t it… Want to make sure I have the route right first.

Also will I need any special clothing for cradle mountain if we are not doing major walks?

Thanks so much in advance

5 replies to this topic
Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
1. Re: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

It's quite a good plan.

I don't se where the food focus is. Take a look at this page: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c139513/Ta… You will pass by many of these places on your route and a brief stop is worthwhile.

Day 2 includes a 5 hour drive. Go from Launceston to Cradle via Deloraine and Mole Creek. Come back via Sheffield. There's plenty of threads about things to see along the way.

To find accommodation at Cradle Mountain, you need to be sure that it has an address in Cradle Mountain Road. All the places there are handy to the park, have animals at night and give good access to Dove Lake which is great for photos.

Mount Field and Richmond are really in opposite directions from Hobart, but you could go via Bonorong and the Tea Tree Road from Brighton to Richmond on the way from Mount Field back to Hobart.

You need to carry a wind/waterproof jacket to do any walks in Tasmania, regardless of what the weather is like to start with.

That link also has a bit about the Sunday farm gate market in Hobart. It does not compare with the Saturday Salamanca market.

All the boat trips you mention are worthwhile, especially around the Tasman Peninsula.

Luigi

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
2. Re: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

I loved this. http://www.wildernessgallery.com.au/

As someone who had a recently injured knee while walking around Dove Lake what sticks in my mind is the steep bit, the slippery boardwalk bit, and the ladder. I wonder if the locals or recent visitors could say some more about that, I don't know if anything about the track has changed since we were there or if my memory is overemphasising those parts. I found it quite doable but it would have been nice to have been aware of it beforehand.

>>You need to carry a wind/waterproof jacket to do any walks in Tasmania, regardless of what the weather is like to start with.<<

Completely agree with that, it was hat on, hat off, windcheater on, windcheater off, jumper on, windcheater on over the top, jumper off again, hat on again, all the way around Dove Lake.

Sydney Australia
3. Re: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

Thanks Luigi and McKnee,

I did not want to spend too long hunting down specific foodie spots till I had the itinerary sorted - these seems to be no shortage of great food in Tassy so I will start looking at that now I know this plan works.

McKnee - I have seen reports of going anticlockwise round Dove lake and I am tempted to do it that way to get the climbing over before the foot gets sore - although hopefully it will be a bit better in another month! Do you think this the better option?

My only undecided point now is whether the Salamanca Market is too good to miss.

Thanks guys

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
4. Re: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

We did Dove Lake anticlockwise and I felt I probably preferred that, though I have not done it both ways so I can't really compare. I remember the boardwalk through the Ballroom Forest was towards the beginning, it was slippery but there was a lot of rain in preceding days, also it depends on the surfacing which might have changed since then, I don't know. The steep bit was uphill but I felt safer climbing up than down and there were some seats where we stopped to rest, and we met some ladies with bad knees going in the other direction and compared notes on our bad knees and they were doing fine going the other way, I gather they were quite experienced bushwalkers though. The short ladder was down, not sure if it would have made any difference which way I went there, main problem was my dignity :-) After that I don't remember any particular challenges, just a whole lot of fairly flat but sometimes uneven walking. Btw going anticlockwise you come to the boatshed which features in many photographs first, I think it was a small diversion off the main track but you could see it and/or there was a sign it. I emphasise this is from memory and it was a few years ago.

Sydney Australia
5. Re: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart

Thanks McKnee. I will consider the direction depending on how the foot is coming along :-)

Reply to: Can you check my itinerary - 8 days Launceston to Hobart
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted