We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 14
8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

This is our itinerary at the moment. Any suggestions and/or modifications would be greatly appreciated. We are in Hobart - 4 nights, Launceston - 3 nights

Day 1: land in Hobart, Louisa's Walk

Day 2: Port Arthur

Day 3: Bonorong wildlife sanctuary and Mt Wellington

Day 4: Richmond (some wineries), Penitentiary night tour (ghosts)

Day 5: Salamanca markets, drive to Launceston (via Swansea)

Day 6: Cradle Mountain

Day 7: Seahorse World, City Park (monkeys) and hang gliding at Trevallyn Dam

Day 8: Cataract Gorge - fly home that night

If I'm missing something super, please let me know!

6 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
1. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

For me it raises the question of what's worse, changing hotels or backtracking.

I also wondered about Swansea? So close to Freycinet but not going to Freycinet? I'm not saying you should if it does not interest you, just trying to understand your thinking there?

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

We had accommodation already sorted so that is why we are doing the two separate places. In terms of Swansea, I just heard it was nice.

I don't know anything about Tassie or the 'good' places so if there is something you'd recommend, please do!

Are we able to drive from Hobart to Launceston and see places or is that too much of a rush?

Thanks for your reply 😀

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
3. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

It's a good plan - except (as MacKnee says) the detour via Swansea.

In the first instance it means you will miss the more interesting and picturesque towns of Oatlands and Ross on the Midland Highway. Second, if you are going that far, you ought to visit Freycinet National Park. However, it would be a very long day.

I'd also have a browse through the Top Questions on the right of the Hobart forum page for extra things to do. I think you will have time on your hands there.

Luigi

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

Thanks Luigi, I have read a lot of your forums and have tried to work out what to do based on them.

I don't know much about the Freycinet national park, are you able to give me suggestions on what we should do there? What time would we have to leave Hobart in order to get to Launceston via the National Park? I don't care how late we get to Launceston.

Thanks

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
5. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

Freycinet National Park is the location of the renowned Wineglass Bay. http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=3363

The thing you should do there is to hike to the top of the lookout to see Wineglass Bay.

Salamanca markets starts at about 8am. You should plan on spending about an hour there before setting off on your journey.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?

Great, we'll do that for sure. Thanks heaps

Reply to: 8 day itinerary is done - suggestions please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted