We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

I'd like to visit Tasmania in June, July, or August. I'm an experienced hiker/mountain climber from Colorado. Are there any good day hikes in winter in Tasmania? What are weather and trail conditions like in the winter? Also, do I need to bring snowshoes? If I decided to do a multi-day trek what huts remain open in winter?

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 73
1. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

We really don't get any snow like you do in the Rockies, so if you are a competent snow hiker you would have no problems if you are properly prepared. You would not need snow-shoes for any walk, however several planned walks along the Overland Track were cancelled this year because of heavy snow.

This list of 60 short walks is good. Very few of them (except perhaps those on the Central Plateau) should involve hiking in snow even in deepest winter: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1315

Huts remain open in winter; that's really what they're for. However, i would recommend that you investigate doing multi-day walks with an organised tour company. There's more info and links here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c51320/Tas…

It is considered unwise to hike alone, mainly due to the likelihood of quick changes in the weather that can catch people unprepared.

This website is useful: tasmania.bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php…

Luigi

Colorado Springs...
2. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
3. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Hi Deb, I don't do the larger walks in winter, yet I still visit Cradle Mountain during the winter months just to see the beauty of it and do the smaller walks. Many people still hike around the Cradle Mountain area in winter, and to be honest In all the times I've seen hikers heading out for the higher elevated hikes even when there's been a heavy snowfall, I've never seen a hiker carrying snowshoes. As Luigi said, it's not the snowfalls of the Rockies. On very rare occasions, we can get up to half a metre of snow in a fall, but usually a common snowfall is around the 50 to 100mm range.

Safe travels - Robert

Wollongong...
4. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Help I'm going insane... Back and forth trying to find a guided hike ANYWHERE in Tasmania for 5-9 June 2014. Each time I get a lead and try to book there are no hikes showing in June. This contradicts the advice on many forums advising there is??? Any help would be appreciated. Jacqueline

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
5. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Hi Jacqueline and welcome to the forum. Clicking on the yellow *Ask a question* button enables you to start your own thread, and that way the OP (original poster) won't get emails advising of further discussion not relevant to their query. Oh, I just thought, are you using a computer or a mobile device?

And btw, tease us with your avatar why don't you Rob T :-)

Have a lovely time everyone! Tassie in winter is still on my wish list.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 167
6. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

Someone has to visit Cradle Mt frequently MacKnee, so it might as well be me, also if you zoom in on my avatar, you'll notice the back half of the lake is not as smooth as the front half, that's because the back half of the lake was frozen :o) So looking forward to winter, I have to go up there as part of my job even in winter, have stood discussing business out in the open, while the snow falls heavily, slightly different world for a lad that came from Brisbane.

As MacKnee states, you should start your own thread, and to be honest Jacqueline, and I could be wrong, but to try and line up other visitors wanting to hike up in the mountains in the middle of winter on the dates you want to travel could be very difficult.

Why not stay at Cradle Mt and do your own walks, there's plenty of them - http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1315

I think you'll find many organised treks are pre and post winter, June can get very icy.

Have you made contact with Parks, they might have a lead for you-

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/

Safe travels - Robert

7. Re: Hiking in Tasmania in the winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 17, 2015