We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
reviews: 7
4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit extra info for this trip.

We want to focus on the outdoors, no towns or attractions except day 1: port arthur. The wilder the campsite the better, although it must be motorhome friendly. Also, sites that allow camp fires are massively preferred!

We pick up camper at 10am. I was thinking...

Drive straight to Port Arthur,stay till 4, then drive the 15kms to Fortescue bay camping ground.

Day 2: Drive to Mount Field NP. Do a bit of walking, look for platypus.

Now what I had been planning was to stay at Mount Field campground for the 2nd night then drive along Lyell highway (3hrs) and stay Lake Burbury area (Thureau hills campground) the third night.

Then to drive to cradle mountain (2 hrs) in time for the 9am shuttle bus (campers longer than 5ms must use it and its the earliest one) and attempt the summit in time to get the last bus back (4.20).

Then to spend that night somewhere close by that's on the road to Devonport.

I am thinking that cradle mountain, given the time restraints because of the shuttle bus, and the fact there's no where to camp nearby so a fair amount of driving is required either side of the walk might not be the best use of our time.

Any alternative ideas, routes, itineraries greatly appreciated. I particular, if there's a day walk that offers as much as the cradle mountain walk , maybe even one that can be started from a campsite,that would be great!

Just to reiterate, wilderness, walking and fires are our main objectives. Aside from Port Arthur on the first day and a full day hike one day we are flexible (although it would be great to spot a platypus too!)

Thanks!

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
1. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

It would help to know when you're planning to be here. Camping in winter in Tasmania is not a great idea, but is OK in summer.

This webpage will be helpful: www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=19217

You will find very, very few places and times where you are permitted to have an open fire other than in a designated, prepared fireplace. In Mount Field, for example, there are constructed barbecues at the campground and woodheaters in the cabins, but otherwise fires are not permitted. That's generally the case in other parks and reserves. And in summer, it's quite likely that all open fires fires may be prohibited throughout the state, depending on the bushfire risk.

Discovery Holiday Parks provides camping facilities at Cradle Mountain. It's just outside the park boundary. They have a prepared location for an open (communal) fire. http://cradle-mountain.tas.big4.com.au/

Luigi

Edited: 6:37 pm, May 28, 2013
Hobart
reviews: 14
2. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

When are you looking at coming? I LOVE fires and there are places - as long as its the right time of year and in the right spot. You do need to be VERY dilligent though about putting them out and should be looking at buying wood, not ripping up trees etc.

Edited: 8:32 pm, May 28, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 155
3. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

Going by your comment <<in time to get the last bus back (4.20).>> you must be arriving between June and September, as the shuttle only does a last 4.20pm run in this time period.

So if you are arriving then, fires won't be a problem, if you can keep them a light :o)

forestrytas.com.au/visiting/visitor-sites/no…

Not sure it's a good idea to climb the Cradle Mt summit in winter, I haven't completed that hike myself, but know people who have and they will only do it in summer, as there's a better than even chance of ice and snow, and I believe the last hurdle is a lot of scree. The walk to Marions Lookout is a great walk especially on a clear day.

If you don't see any platypus down south, have a look at Warrarwee Forest Reserve near Latrobe which is not far from Devonport. Good chance of seeing platypus there.

forestrytas.com.au/visiting/visitor-sites/no…

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 9:21 pm, May 28, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
reviews: 155
4. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

<<So if you are arriving then, fires won't be a problem, if you can keep them a light :o)>>

adding to my comment above - IF ALLOWED.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=2884

And what Luigi said above in Post #1

<<You will find very, very few places and times where you are permitted to have an open fire other than in a designated, prepared fireplace. In Mount Field, for example, there are constructed barbecues at the campground and woodheaters in the cabins, but otherwise fires are not permitted. That's generally the case in other parks and reserves.>>

Robert

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 62
5. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

If you stay at Fortescue Bay, you could do the Cape Huay walk the next day which starts from there and is about 4-5 hours return. Just check the campervan can be driven on gravel roads as the road is unsealed from the Arthur Highway to Fortescue Bay about 12km.

6. Re: 4 nights, starting Hobart, finishing Devonport in motorhome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014