We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
adelaide
reviews: 16
Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

I have read about the Summit walk, being 8 hours, where does it start? If we were to stay at Voyagers Lodge Cradle Mountain is it a shorter walk to the Summit?

Also is there any less expensive accomadation around where the Voyages Lodge is on the mountain?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
1. Re: Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

presumably it leaves from the Lodge or the carpark. but i check the website and found some info that you may, or may not, be aware of (see below).

I have done the Marions Lookout walk and got lost so subsequently did part of this walk too! it is difficult and not for people who are below average fitness. It takes many hours and the weather can change in the blink of an eye. just be aware that the 8 hours are 8 hard hours...not a stroll be any stretch of the imagination. there will be sweating, sore feet and back aches.

i got this from voyages website:

>Summit Climb

A must for the more adventurous. Join our guide for a day you will never forget. Hike and climb to the summit of Cradle Mountain and enjoy lunch on 'top of the world' overlooking most of northwest Tasmania. Simply breathtaking. The walk is of a hard grade (including some rock scrambling). A briefing is usually held in the Weindorfer Lounge the evening prior and it is recommended that those participating in the climb attend this briefing.

*Please note the Summit Climb must be pre-booked two weeks in advance.

Duration 8 Hours

Grade Hard<

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
2. Re: Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

The walk starts at Dove Lake, inside the park area. There's a free bus to the lake from the Parks information kiosk. You don't need to have a guide to do the walk, but it would be nice. Don't do the walk solo - bad idea. People have died up there! Put your names and details in the register before you start.

The Lodge is a lovely place to stay, but there are cheaper places if you google Cradle Montain Accomodation. Make sure you stay near the park entrance and ask about transport to the Parks kiosk. Only the Weindorfer cabins are inside the park.

kyogle, nsw
reviews: 8
3. Re: Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

The summit walk ( though I have not done it my self) is a hard walk. Some friends of mine were in tassie around 3 weeks ago, who are very very experienced bush hikers. They set out up the track, but after a couple of hours the weather changed, chill factor in the wind etc, cloud came down, they couldn't see anything and started to feel very disoriented, so abandoned their walk. Very disappointed. It is an arduous hike. Not for the inexperienced. During our third trip to Tassie, last aug, we stayed at Cosy Cabins for 2 nights. Great self contained cabins, near the entrance of the part, and opp one of the tourist info centres. There is a free shuttle bus from the centres that take you to Dove lake which is where most of the walks commence and to other local must sees,. There are many many different walks, mostly board walks which makes it easier. Some of these start from near the info centres. Depending on how long you intend o be in the area for as to how much you get to see and do.

Cheers

4. Re: Cradle Mountain Summit Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 11, 2009