We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
reviews: 10
Strahan or Cradle Mountain

We arrive in Launcestion Tuesday in Feb what do you think

1st night hobbit cottages mole creek

2nd night Cradle Mountain highlander cottages

3rd night Strahan and Gordon River cruise

4th Hobart so we can be there for the markets.

Then up the East Coast.

My dilema is should we stay 2 nts at cradle instead of Strahan.Can someone do a sell on Strahan as I'm unsure.

cheers

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
1. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

I would highly recommend Plantation Island - perfect for all ages - good choice of restaurants. You can do a meal package if you want. You will not be disappointed and it will be a great family bonding time

It really depends on what you like doing. If you like bush walking - I would stay 2 nights in Cradle Mountain - if not - one night.

I would definitely stay for more than one night in Hobart - lots to see and do here and lots of great day trips

Regards

Suzi

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 85
2. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

If you were to depart your lovely Hobbit cottage at Mole Creek fairly early and arrive at Cradle Mt by say 11 am then you'd have time to do the Dove Lake walk at least. (BTW, best to take the shuttle bus to Dove Lake. It's free if you have a National Park pass.)

If you stay two nights at Cradle Mt then you'd have a very long drive in a day to get to Hobart. I assume you'd head to Zeehan, Queenstown (the A10 hwy) to Hobart.

Another thing to consider - You'd have to take an afternoon cruise on the Gordon River because to get there by 8.30am you'd have to leave Cradle Mt very early.

Pity you haven't another day to play with.

Considering you'd be heading in the direction of Strahan to get to Hobart it would make sense to go there I guess.

Hope I haven't confused you and added to your dilemma!

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 61
3. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Cradle Mountain = good

Stahan = good

Hobart markets = waste of time.

Just my personal opinion.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
4. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Sorry I disagree about the markets - on a beautiful day they are the best I have ever been too - great cafes ad coffee too

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

There are markets all over the world. We are in Tasmania as well next year, and also in Hobart. What's so special about this market? Thx.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
6. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Tet, its like any market in the world, the only difference is; its small and intimate and offers an excellent display of Australian pottery.

Plus it has pubs, artists, galleries, craft shops to suit every tourists budget.

Think " The Rocks Market in Sydney" slightly smaller.

Hobart has so much MORE to offer than the S/Markets.

To me, Hobart is a vibrant picturesque city with huge underrated attractions, one could literally spend heaps of precious time in this city and NEVER be bored.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
7. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Thanks EM we'll give the vibrant city, the market with the pottery a chance for 2 days. DW loves pottery for handluggage.-lol- Sorry for hijacking your thread Harro. Well visit a Perth market too.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

I'd spend 2 nights at Cradle Mountain rather than Strahan and personally in such a short trip I would miss out Strahan altogether. We did a 6 hour cruise up the Gordon River and apart from the first hour we got quite bored. Yes it was gentle and relaxed and there were lots of trees, and more trees but apart from that there wasn't much to see. I know it is pushed as a should do but we did and were very disappointed. I'd prefer to go to Mt Field or somewhere like that instead. As for the markets in Hobart, they were ok but there wasn't that much there that you couldn't get in other little craft shops etc. I know from the locals that recently there as been increasing numbers of 'cheaper' quality stalls which are pushing out some of the more traditional quality people. It was a good atmosphere though.Personal preference I guess.

Perth Australia
reviews: 10
9. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

Hi everyone thanks for your help but I'm still confused maybe this will be a bit clearer.

We fly into Launceston the 17th and out on the 28th early.

Arrive about miday look around then go by car to Mole Creek.

Wednesday off to Cradle Mountain walk Dove Lake stay the night.

Thursday afternoon head of to Strahan (or maybe not)

Friday morning Gordon River cruise Im not sure if I will be bored too as I do get bored on boats and how many trees can you look at. I'd rather drive through small towns.

Friday afternoon head to Hobart, is that possible?

We plan three days in Hobart then spend the rest of our time up the East Coast.

Are the Markets just selling craft things if so my Husband will go ape. I would rather fresh produce.

Hong Kong
10. Re: Strahan or Cradle Mountain

I am just back. I drive from Hobart to Strahan then Cradle mountain. I didn't go to Hobart market as the time is not right. I know there are other small markets on weekend in small towns to sell farmer's products. I went to Melbourne market which sells fresh produce which is nice and large. I brought red wine there which is quite cheap.

Trail walking is the only activity at Strahan. The town is not very special but many accommodation and so quite cheap.

I stay for one night at Cradle mountain and I went around Dove lake in the first afternoon and another route in the morning of the next day. Then I only buy one day pass is enough. I think it basically covers major scene since I am not a long distance trail walker.

Hope it's useful for you