We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Arusha
reviews: 93
powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

So I decided on renting a camper van rather than paying for car rental AND hotel costs......now I am having a heck of a time figuring out where and how much you get charged to park the thing. Is a "powered site" a parking space with plug in for heat? Are there places within the parks like at Cradle Mnt and Narawantapu where you can park in the wilderness for a fee? Is it like 10$ or is it espensive? Can you drive these things onto ferries like to Kings Island or Maria Island or the Tasman Penn? I was hoping it would let me camp remote w/o having to stay at an expensive lodge in the parks. help:)

East Gippsland
reviews: 2
1. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Powered sites could be AU$20 or so. Unpowered sites quite a bit less. Google Big4 caravan parks. This will give you an idea of rates.

A powered site is a plug in site which gives you eletricity to cook, heat, light.

Cradle mountain IS A national park and can only park at the designated camping/caravan site. There are some free sites around the countryside but these do not have power - more a wayside stop with maybe toilets. The cabins in the parks are not expensive - no more and most likely less than at motels.

I do not think that Maria Island takes vehicles. King Island probably does, don't know about Tasman Penn.

Can buy a book on all australian camp sites and caravan parks. but it is around AU$50.

Camps Australia wide I think it is called.

Have you sent away for the booklet on touring Tasmania.?

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Arusha
2. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Hi Gardenboffin.

so 20$ to park plus $60 for the rental pre day ends up about the same as if I rented a car for 25 a day and stayed in hostels, cheap cabins etc-although I may have nights where I cant find a place? hmm. are the designated spots remote enough to see lots of critters at night? all I want is a cheap place to see critters-lots and lots of critters:) I didnt know about the Tas guide book-hopefully its available at the airport?

kyogle, nsw
reviews: 8
3. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Hi Serval girl

Hope following info helps. I am returning to Tassie in 3weeks for our 3rd trip (12days) so have been doing heaps of research. We have 1st 2 nights booked for Hobart then we are free wheeling it, finding acc each night or whenever, wherever, but have lots listed. Mostly cottages/cabins in tourist parks so save costs.Hence the following info.

You haven't mentioned when you are traveling to tassie, or for howlong, but just keep in mind that no matter when you are there, there islots to see and enjoy, BUT the weather is very unpredictable. Depending where you are on any given day, you can experience four seasons in 24hr--- so be prepared with clothing for layers.

Re your query - I presume you have a smallish campervan, without own facilities- eg shower/toilet!

You can obtain heaps of info from going to www.discovertasmania.com.au; click accommodation, then go to Caravan/camping. When reading info note listings on left side of page, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY note the comment Caravan & Holiday Park Guide to Tasmania. Click on this. It is a 36page pdf file for the 2007 edition. Lots of info. The other site that may answer some of your queries is the National Parks site, should find a link on the discovertasmania site. Re your other enquiries, to Bruny island you can take a van on the ferry; Tasman peninnsula ( where Port Arthur is) you travel all the way by road, so no problem, But check out Marie island. This is by ferry only, and from what I understand, (check out the national parks info on this), they are experiencing very fry conditons at present, and ferry transport is temp closed till 20th july. It is very isolated and you have to take all your own drinking water etc to this island. (may be worth a miss). There is so much to see around tassie. tassie is full of critters, but whether you actually get a chance to see them depends of lots of things. There are many FREE locations for camping overnight, but you may have to ask the locals on your arrival in certain areas.

Do your research, go and enjoy. You willhave a wonderful experience and most enjoyable holiday. Everyone is soooooo friendly in tassie. don't forget about your petrol prices, and watch where you buy. Usually dearer in the cities/main towns.

Cheers

kyogle, nsw
reviews: 8
4. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Hi, Serval, Following on from my previous. Just read your earlier post re itinerary. Sorry didn't realise it was same person. Didn't read the fine print. wow. All that diving! Water will be frezzing that time of year hope you have appropriate gear. A lot of driving in 8 days, with so much to see, but just plan, go with the flow, and alot will depend on weather. enjoy. Don't forget that if you wish to enter the National Parks- you require to either pay each day, or each entry, about $20 or you by a pass for your whole time of visit to tassie which is about $56 so you can enter as many as youlike.

Cheers

Hobart
5. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

Hi serval girl

Camping in national parks and consevation areas will be around $15 for a powered site …tas.gov.au/recreation/camping/camping.html

Near Cradle Mt., Cosy Cabins have sites for $25 - $45 www.cosycabins.com.au/Controller…

Camping in forestry areas seems to be free www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/camping

Hobart
reviews: 14
6. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

There are plenty of free spots to park a campervan - if you let me know which regions I will check my free camping guides.

you cannot take a campervan to maria (no vehicles) and you will not want to take a camper to king or flinders island (expensive even if you can get on the ship)

If you are really looking for cheap, camp free and look at options like having a shower in a public facility or a gym/swimming pool. Where you can just pay the entrance fee

For instance there are showers at Strahan albeit in a poor state of repair.

And if you can brave cold showers you will find them on many beaches including devonport, kingston, orford etc

Twin Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Arusha
7. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

thanks a million everyone for your info and suggestions!

Yeah-Im hoping the water temp and consitions are ok to dive-if not I have alternative plans for the areas where i would dive-like instead of dive with sea and seal go on their seal cruise and I figure Freycinete could entertain me for an extra day if diving in Bicheno doesnt pan out-I hear there are lots of birds there

Thats cool that you can camp for free in the forestry areas and on beaches-thats what Im looking for-really didnt want to be stuck in crowded camp grounds with lots of people and kids and noise-just critters, lots and lots of critters:)

I was thinking of bringing a sun shower-those things work well as long as there is sunshine-75F takes a few hours to be HOT! Then of course since Ill be hanging out with critters instead of people I imagine I could skip a few showers if need be......

I guess Ill go for the camper-that way I have the flexibility of camping if I want or spending nite at a hostel. Whoo hoo-I cant wait for this trip:)

8. Re: powered sites and other Q's about campervan parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 07, 2009