We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Ayres rock

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sunnycornwall
Sydney to Ayres rock

Howdy, my wife and I are planning a trip to Oz next January and was wondering whats the best way to travel to Ayres rock. We have checked out flights from Sydney but they seem to be very expensive. We are also visiting Cairne and Brisbane, and was wondering if there is a fast train or any other forms of transport direct from any of these places. We're planning to spend 1 to 2 days there but don't want to blow our budget. If anyone has any idea's, please drop me a line .

If anyone has any tips about what to do in any of these places, please let me know, thanks for reading and please help if you can. Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
1. Re: Sydney to Ayres rock

Uluru is in the middle of nowhere and is only visited as a tourist destintation.

The only ways in and out are by road or air. The bus is a several day trip.

Your best option is to go by air (yes we know it is expensive) and do either SYD-ULU-CNS or the reverse. $300 is about the norm.

if you are worried about the cost of getting there i suggest you also have a good look at how much it costs to stay. Food is pretty pricey as well.

I would have suggested virgin into Alice but it appears they no longer service that route..

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 157
2. Re: Sydney to Ayres rock

This is in the wrong forum, try the Northern Territory one.

To travel to Uluru you can fly but it is expensive but it is a long way from Sydney. You could use the Greyhound buses, comfortable but you would need to change buses at least at Adelaide or you can hire a car and drive there via Broken Hill/ Port Augusta. Or if you are used to gravel roads thereis the Plenty Highway from Boulia/ winton or further north the Barkley which is sealed.

Check Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin for what flights there are to/ from Uluru or Alice Springs as with the oil crisis the airlines are reducing flights.

January will be very very hot at Uluru and yo will need to be prepared for it.

3. Re: Sydney to Ayres rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 02, 2009