We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmanian Holiday

Which Tasmania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 8
Tasmanian Holiday

We are planning a family holiday 2 Adults & 3 Children (3, 11 , 13) in sept

Our planed Itinerary so

Sat 27 Sandy Bay Hobart

Sun 28 Sandy Bay Hobart

Mon 29 Morning in Hobart down to Port Arthur for Night

Tues 30 Day Port Arthur then stay there at night

Wed Drive up to Launceston / Devonport

Thurs Deveonport

Friday Devonport

Sat Dep Devonport Airport 4pm

Every one says I am Mad having 2 Nights at Port Arthur but with the young kids I think it might be a good idea to have a room all day as depending on levels on interest they can go off to sleep rest etc.

I suppose I am better of basing in Launceston or Devonport as for the same reasons I want to keep a room always available so the kids can sleep etc.

I don't mind driving an hour or so to do an activity.

Any suggestion would be appreciated as I have never been to Tassie

Thanks Mick

Sydney
reviews: 8
11. Re: Tasmanian Holiday

yeh i suppose i was being a bit facetious but up north past bicheno and beumaris etc there wasn't much happening. I found a few of the shops closed.

Still it is a wonderful area and well worth the vist

Boat Harbour
12. Re: Tasmanian Holiday

Hi Mick

Not sure about staying in Devonport for three nights. If you have the time head further up the coast. Boat Harbour is lovely. I should know I live there and it is very central to Stanley (40 minutes) Cradle Mountain just over 2 hours. Strahan 2 1/2 hours.

Have a lovely trip and take your time. That's what we're all about.

Cheers

Judy

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 62
13. Re: Tasmanian Holiday

"Every one says I am Mad having 2 Nights at Port Arthur but with the young kids

Only those people who dislike history and wildlife and great scenery could say that! Port Arthur historic site has things that will interest children and as well as that there is the Tasmanian Devil park which kids usually love as you can hand feed the wallabies as well as see the devil feeding. They also dont mind you coming and going a couple of times during the day to see the feedings. There are also great beaches which kids love in all weathers (though September can be beautiful too!)I think it has variety and in a relatively small area so you can mix up your activities to keep the kids amused.

I really hate it when people say " it is easily done in a day from Hobart" Yes you can drive an hour and a half, spend a few hours at the historic site and drive back but you miss out on so much. I'd say if you have the time - stay!

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
14. Re: Tasmanian Holiday

Hi Judy. Welcome to the forum. Your enthusiasm is appreciated but please, slow down a bit! I know the matter of checking the date has already been brought to your attention and here's another hint. Read the whole thread, for various reasons, but in this particular case you would have seen that the OP already posted a brief trip report on the previous page of this thread.

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

15. Re: Tasmanian Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 18, 2009