We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowing down places to stay - little help needed please

Which Kangaroo Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 30
Narrowing down places to stay - little help needed please

Hi,

We arrive late Thursday night in Oct ( by ferry) and depart by early am ferry the following Tuesday morning. So it seems the Thursday night and Monday nights are best spent at Penneshaw so not driving in the dark.

So, for the other 3 nights...? It seems like a nice idea to base ourselves in one place and do day trips from there. Want to see as much of KI as possible but not racing from one thing to the other. Would like to see Flinders Chase NP and do sand surfing and seals at Seal Bay.

Hanson Bay looks lovely but wonder whether we would be better off basing ourselves in Vivonne Bay?

Accommodation wise - we want something with great beach views, strolling distance to the beach (would love to lay in bed at night and hear the sea) and an open fire. A deck with beach views for a late afternoon drink would be great. Budget aboutn$200-250 max per night. We are a family of four.

Thanks..K

Sydney
reviews: 30
11. Re: Narrowing down places to stay - little help needed please

Thanks P. I have actually called the visitor centre twice and maybe it was who I got, but unfortunately they weren't that helpful. I basically explained what we were after, similar to on here, however didn't get a lot of suggestions.

I had thought that we would be touring KI in a similar way to Tassie - one night here, see the sights, more on, one night next spot, see local sights, move on, two nights next place etc. Therefore I had thought we would do one night Penneshaw, one night near Seal Bay/Vivonne Bay area, two nights Flinders Chase and the last night back in Penneshaw but via Kingscote to see that part of the island. This is sort of what we did in Tassie however it seems that this sort of idea is not what most people do for KI.

I can get one night in Hansom Cabins (realise that is self-catering so tossing up with KI Wilderness Retreat). So now thinking one night Penneshaw, two nights (???), one night Western end and back to Penneshaw.

But from what you've said, the island is smaller and more do-able from one location and so maybe day trips is the idea. Really wanted to stay somewhere (other than Penneshaw) with sea views, open fire, strolling distance to the beach and not tooo remote so that we can grab supplies if needed.

Sorry to ramble on here - I just like to do lots of planning re accommodation, things to see so that when we get to a destination with limited time, I know what we are doing and what we will have to leave for another time. I don't mind surprises coming up and discovering something new along the way but love it when we arrive at our accommodation knowing I've done heaps of research and it meets or surpases our expectations.

Thanks all for reading and advice...:)

12. Re: Narrowing down places to stay - little help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 20, 2014