We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

Which Coober Pedy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Del Valle
reviews: 27
Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

I am traveling nanny who will end a job in Sydney Oct 13th and am staying around to explore with my husband who fly in to meet me. We have about 5-6 days in Sydney planned and 5 days in New Zealand but have about 8 days left to use and thought the two-three day dry to Coober Pedy might be an interesting drive? Then two days there and back to sydney?

Is there any thing we could see along the way that might be interesting or do you think it's worth the long trip? It seemed a bit different and might be fun...

Just looking for suggestions or advice.

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

That is a 2200 kilometre trip each way, so 4400km round trip.

Coober Pedy might be interesting for a few days but the cost of getting there and back would be insane, petrol (gas) here is expensive in the cities and I shudder to think what is costs in rural South Australia and even Western NSW.

Buy some opals in Sydney and accept they will be more costly than in Coober Pedy, I think :-)

The drive isn't interesting enough to warrant the cost in my opinion and your time can be better used I believe :-)

My 2c worth haha. Cheerz Wabster.

South Coast, St...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
reviews: 2
2. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

Coober Pedy is a unique and fascinating town from everything I've heard and seen about it. But as Wabster says, not the easiest most convenient destination to include in a fairly short trip. I also have to say I don't know what you plan to see in New Zealand and what you would consider adequate but 5 days doesn't really seem long enough. IMO put some more time towards that, but of course it depends on your interests and priorities.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

If you are interested in South Australia you could consider flying from Sydney to Adelaide. Rex airlines fly from Adelaide to Coober Pedy on M,T,W,T,F-S 2hrs.

Or hire a car and explore Adelaide/Sth Aust. Kangaroo Island is worth visiting. You can fly to Kingscote, daily flights 35mins or take the Sealink Ferry from Cape Jervis. Pt Lincoln with Qantaslink/Rex daily flights 45/50min

Del Valle
4. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

I agree but New Zealand is to see a friend's uncle whom we haven't met.. Not planning on doing much, just rent a car and drive down to Bay of Plenty area and spend a few nights. Don't want to impose on him.

My job repeats itself next year so can explore more then!

Considered flying to Adelaide but it's too expensive. At that point of the trip, I just thought driving might be interesting if we could find a few stops going there and coming back that could be of interest. We are content with being less busy and just seeing something different at the end. I tried to go to REX's Airlines to check their rates but they don't show any flights to Adelaide..

Thanks everyone...D

So it sounds like the two day trip there and back could be worth it. The

Del Valle
5. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

Whoops! Didn't see this reply! Well, I guess that settles it. If there were some interesting spots along the way, a drive can be interesting. Will try and search for a few more things to do in Sydney or surround area then! Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

I'd suggest searching on "things to do in and around Sydney" and I'm sure you'll find things of interest to do in this area.

Also you can rent a car and spend the days you have in closer proximity to Sydney/NSW, say coastal areas Central or South Coasts, or inland such as Blue Mountains Orange, Mudgee etc,

Have fun, cheerz Wabster.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
reviews: 116
7. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

Agree with wabster - have a read of the top questions/FAQ's on the rhs of the Sydney forum page, including the trip reports on the Sydney forum home page tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255060-i122-Sy…

The official NSW tourism site also has some great info. for trip planning

http://www.visitnsw.com/

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

Yep no way would I ever consider driving Sydney to Coober Pedy for fun!!!

Sydney
9. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

You should also check out the Hunter Valley. 2 hour drive from Sydney and it's just gorgeous, You could do a wine tour, visit the markets. The views are amazing.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 35
10. Re: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?

I could think of a about a million places in Australia I would visit before Coober Pedy and I certainly wouldn't drive from Sydney. The coastal areas of NSW are far more interesting and beautiful.

Reply to: Is it worth the trip from Sydney?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted