We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-time to Adelaide

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 8
First-time to Adelaide

Hi all,

I have 9 days from 23/12 - 31/12 in Adelaide. 4 adults, our flight 23/12 from Melbourne is 710am, arrive in Adelaide at 8am. for 31/12, is 505pm & arrive in Melbourne 655pm.

We like nature, wildlife, bushwalking & a little shopping. Not interested in nightlife.

I have created a itinerary, I'm not sure if its feasible. Is there enough time or are we rushing it?

Day 1: ADL- KI

Day 2: KI

Day 3: KI

Day 4: KI - ADL

Day 5:ADL

Day 6: ADL - Port Augusta

Day 7: Flinders Range

Day 8: Flinders Range

Day 9: Flinders Range - ADL airport

Suggestions?

49 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: First-time to Adelaide

I wouldn't overnight at Pt Augusta unless you had a specific reason to be there. It is a pretty boring trip. You would be better off going through Gawler and stop in the Clare Valley if you wanted to break the trip up. Much more scenic and you can pop into winery or two.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Port Augusta has interesting places for the overseas visitor to experience, in the Arid lands Botanic Gardens, Wadlata Outback Centre, and you can take a cruise on the upper reaches of the Spencer Gulf; possibly meet some of the local dolphins.

Accommodation, Majestic Oasis Apartments on Marryat Street.

www.southaustralia.com

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Yep I agree with Nuri. I like Port Augusta. Another (cheaper) acom option is the cabins in the Big 4 caravan park.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Adelaide Zoo is the only place in Australia that has got pandas (2). Not quintessentially Australian, but if you like wildlife and nature it's a thought.

Oz
reviews: 31
5. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Hi,

FWIW Adelaide is my favourite city in Australia...........aside from the weather in summer and winter. There are fantastic restaurants and don't forget to take a tram ride to Glenelg.

Cheers,

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: First-time to Adelaide

First of all, Thank You all for your response. Was kinda worried no one gonna reply.

Yes to Cindy, Port Augusta is to break the trip up. We only got 1 driver so can't wear him out. Will do some research on your suggestion!

To Nuri, the cruise trip sounds tempting...

As for Newbs3029, will give the zoo visit some thought, but I got 2 pandas here yet to visit as well.

Now, I'm in a dilemma whether to visit KI first or Flinders Range? Are the shops or restaurants open on Christmas?

Adelaide, Australia
7. Re: First-time to Adelaide

If you mean Christmas Day. No shops will not be open. Some restaurants in Adelaide will be open but most unlikely in country areas.

Have you booked your accom on KI?. If not do so immediately. I will be very surprised if everything is not already booked out

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Yes, I meant Christmas Day. So got to stock food from the supermarket then. :)

Any recommendation on accom for KI & Flinders Range? Preferred somewhere in Kingscote & Wilpena.

Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: First-time to Adelaide

On Ki - the apartments attached to the Ozone Hotel. In Flinders Ranges Rawnsley Park is my preference.

Singapore, Singapore
10. Re: First-time to Adelaide

Thanks, Nozzie! Do you have any suggestion on accommodation at Clare Valley or Burra?

Reply to: First-time to Adelaide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted