We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide to Melbourne

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Adelaide to Melbourne

We will be arriving in Adelaide in march and have about 10-11days to get to Melbourne. Anyone any suggestions on how long to spend in Adelaide and surrounds before our road trip to Melbourne. We were thinking of not picking up a car until about day 5 as there seems to be lots within an hour or so. Barossa valley would be one of our must sees as we're a couple of wine enthusiasts

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta
reviews: 79
1. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

I would also suggest Clealand Wildlife Park, only about 40 minutes out of Adelaide. Great interaction with native animals

You could also look at The Southern Vales Wine area south of Adelaide.

Adelaide
reviews: 13
2. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Hi vindee,

What kind of things do you like doing?

I have lived in Adelaide alll my life but this is the first time I have given advice so others may be able to help as well or suggest other options.

During March, Adelaide has the Fringe Festival (Feb 15 to March 17) http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/. Lots of comedy, theatre, caberet etc and the city becomes very lively with a dedicated fringe club outdoor venue and lots of action in Rundle St in particular. Weather is typically good to hot during this time. You may enjoy a couple of nights checking this out.

Adelaide's wine districts are famous and fantastic, with the Barossa under an hour away to the north east, McLaren Vale to the south and Clare Valley a couple of hours to the north. I believe that best way to check out these regions would be self drive or tour.

A trip up to Clare valley would probably be better with a night spent in that area though, could drive up through Auburn, Sevenhill, Watervale and then stay at Clare. Book lunch at Skilogalee (ask for a table on the verandah or under the olive tree) and then check out a few wineries in the afternoon and stay the night. Drive back through Burra if you have time and check out the copper mine. Otherwise just head back through the Barossa Valley (nuriootpa and tanunda area) for more wineries then back to Adelaide. Unfortunately I don't know as much about Barossa or Southern Vales so will leave this to others.

Another good loop is through the Adelaide hills stopping in lovely Hahndorf for morning tea and a look around at the shops before heading to Strathalbyn for lunch then to Goolwa and Victor harbor for a look around at the seaside and maybe a walk on Granite island. Once again a lot to do in a day so may be better with a night somewhere along the way maybe at the beach. Then you could head back through Mclaren Vale wine region.

Without a car, you could spend time in Adelade with a trip to Glenelg, a look through the city and at some of the historical buildings on North Terrace including the Museum and Art Gallery (and other museums), and also at the botanical gardens or zoo if that is what you like. Clealand Wildlife Park is another option that has already been suggested. Others I'm sure can add to this list.

The drive to Melbourne is a great one. You could go through the Coonawarra (another wine region) and Mt Gambier then through Warnambool accross the border and down the Great Ocean Road.

Maybe 3-4 nights (2-3 days) in Adelaide without a car.

Then drive and night in clare

back through Barossa night in Adelaide,

through hills to the beach and (possibly) night in Victor Harbor,

otherwise back through Southern Vales and sleep in Adelaide

3 nights to drive to Melbourne slowly.

May be too much winery in here for you, or too many days on the move but the option is there. As I said I am a novice at this travel advice thing :).

Let us know what else you like and we can work on it...

Cheers,

Matt

ireland
3. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Matt,

That's fantastic advice!! Unfortunately we only get in from Perth on the 18th so we'll miss the fringe. Would have loved that. We may look into tours to the wine regions from Adelaide as I'm sure you're just as strict on drink driving as we are but you've given us loads to consider.

Adelaide
reviews: 13
4. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

No problem. Barossa and Mclaren Vale should be easily accessible by tours.

Clare Valley I'm sure is as well. My family is originally from that area and we still have a big old house and land there so I know it quite well but always drive. It is 1.5 to 2 hours from Adelaide so probably needs more than a day trip to do it justice.

Check out this link and download Riesling Trail Map and brochure for morre food (and drink) for thought.

www.southaustraliantrails.com/top_trails.asp…

You could walk parts of this trail or even hire a bike and ride if you are that way inclined. Some good Clare Valley reds in the area as well not just good whites. Vintage around March/April as well.

Let us know what you decide to do. May even see you at one of the cellar doors...

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
5. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

You might want to include Kangaroo Island in your itinerary. With 11 days for your trip, I'd spend 4-5 nights in Adelaide and the environs, 2-3 nights on Kangaroo Island and 4 nights driving from Adelaide to Melbourne.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
reviews: 39
6. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Get amongst the Fringe Festival and take time to wander our city during "mad march" .. lots to see and do

As wine lovers you would definitely want to travel via the Coonawarra and spend a day there. Base yourself in Penola and take time to experience some of the best Cabernet Sauvignons in the country.

There are tours from the city to Barossa and McLaren vale. Do you have an idea of your budget? if so we could offer some recommendations.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 56
7. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Probably lucky your missing "mad March" the clipsal is a scary place to be!

I would suggest a tour to the barossa and to Kangaroo island.

Maybe stay a few nights in the city and a few nights at the beach ?

ireland
8. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

Sounds like kangaroo island and barossa are definitely on the agenda with a couple of days detox on the beach!! We've a limited budget as we've tazmania and Sydney to follow

9. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 27, 2014