We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 8
driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

Hi Everyone

We have had a re think and now we are going to fly into melbourne, and drive to adelaide, please could someone give me some ideas of nice places to stop on the journey for the night , any places that are must see's etc, and how long do you think we should give to this journey so we dont rush it and spend to many hours a day just driving

Many thanks

Ann

30 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
reviews: 202
1. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

Hi there - just out of Melbourne are the Ottway Ranges and IMHO the BEST part of the GOR. You then have all the lookout spots along the GOR so it can take the best part of the day just to get to Warnambool which I think is a great spot to break the journey. You could keep going to Mt Gambier if you want but it makes a good stop along the way to view the Blue Lake. After that, Robe and then you can pretty much drive straight through to Adelaide.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

It all depends on whether you want a long or a short trip to Adelaide. You can get to Adelaide by the route tez823 describes but by far the shortest is straight down theWestern Highway through Horsham and Bordertown. It only takes 8 hours and can be done in a day. I have stopped in Horsham for the night once (traveling with children) but there's not much to see except for silos and canola fields. You can detour off to the Grampians which are spectacular and Halls Gap is a good place for an overnight stop but that will add an hour or two to the journey.

Whichever way you decide to travel, be prepared for many hours of uninspiring countryside as its mostly farming land.

Edited: 5:42 pm, March 03, 2012
Byron Bay
reviews: 553
3. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

I would suggest take the scenic Great Ocean Road. Stop off at Torquy, Anglesea and Lorne... all great tourist destinations. Beyond that there is really not much worth stopping for IMO

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
reviews: 43
4. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

As said above the fastest route is to drive direct via Bordertown.. don't drive straight through Bordertown without visiting the Albino Kangaroos in their park by the side of the highway. pbase.com/jhphoto/animals_bordertownwildlife

Another option is to divert across to Naracoorte and visit the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Naracoorte Caves. Depending on the age of your children an Adventure Caving expedition could be worthwhile.. but if they are younger they might enjoy the other caves and Fossil Centre

www.environment.sa.gov.au/naracoorte/Home

If you take the inland route to Mt Gambier from Melbourne you could stop there and feed the possums at Umpherston Caves, see the lakes, stop at the wonderful Coonawarra Wine Region and Penola (great if you are wine lovers) and then do the caves on the way back to the main highway at Keith.

Edited: 7:41 pm, March 03, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 217
5. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

As above it depends on the time you have allocated to travel.

Personally I would stay overnight in Mount Gambier. Its close to Naracourte and Penola for the great suggestions above

Did you want to see the coorong on the way?

It really depends on waht you want to do and how much time you have.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

Coming from Europe and not see GOR will be a big mistake imo. At more or less leisurely pace I'd take 3 days between Melbourne and Adelaide.

Warrnambool
reviews: 36
7. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

www.australiasgreatsouth.com/index.php/en/

This new web site has some good route planners that will give lots of options.

Best to drive great ocean road east to west as all the lookouts and major stops are on the sea side of the road so going east to west means you dont have to cross over traffic to get to them.

I would allow 2 days great ocean road and another two day from Warrnambool to Adelaide.

Being from Warrnambool i suggest a stop in our fine city.

visitwarrnambool.com.au

england
reviews: 8
8. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

many thanks for all the ideas so far,

mordi35 , the link you sent is very good thank you, on our last trip we did 1/2 the GOR, got as far as Port Fairy if i recall, how would we go about maybe driving inland till Apollo Bay , them getting to do the coastal drive the rest of the way,

Ann

Richmond, United...
9. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

How did your trip go last year, we are doing the same run this year in February and wondered what you would suggest, we have 2 days to drive to Adelaide and like the sound of the GOR but we have a young family 7yrs and 4yrs and are looking for some interesting places for us to stop off?

Pune, India
10. Re: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop

Hi , We are a family of 4 (me, wife& 9yr old) from India planning to Hire a Motor home in May from Adelaide and Drive to Melbourne.

I have 6nts/7days to get to Melbourne of which Day1/Day 2 @ Kangroo Island is planned

From Kangroo island onwards to Melbourne I seek advice on the Route, where to stop , Places to see etc. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Narayan

Reply to: driving from melbourne to adelaide, where to stop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted