We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest flights are to Mackay Airport - good option or not?

Luxembourg City...
reviews: 127
Cheapest flights are to Mackay Airport - good option or not?

Hi everyone!

We are flying in from Europe to see Melbourne and spend New Year's in Sydney. From Jan 3-8, we have decided to go to the Whitsundays. We will need a flight from SYD to Whitsundays and then from Whitsundays back to Melbourne to catch our flight back to Europe.

My questions are:

Cheapest flight is to/from Mackay Airport. Is there a shuttle to Airlie Beach or do you recommend a car rental? The resort on Airlie Beach we really like is on the top of a hill and a few guests have written that a rental car would be useful. Is there plenty of parking at restaurants, bars, etc.? Would having a car be useful to tour around the area (is there anything to see)? What would you suggest?

The more expensive option would be to fly in/out of Hamilton Island Airport. The resort on this island is also about double of what we'd pay on Airlie Beach. Is it really worth it? We are not divers or snorkelers by any means, but we'd enjoy the pool and beach. I feel like it would be a bit too expensive just to hang out at the beach and do a daytrip to Whitehaven, which could be done just as easily from Airlie Beach. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help on this!

Oz
reviews: 32
11. Re: Cheapest flights are to Mackay Airport - good option or not?

Hi,

>>" I am holding everything to a pretty high standard so I hope it does not disappoint. I want white sand, like flour/powder, blue waters and NO WAVES. Like a natural swimming pool"<<

You are describing Trial Bay at South West Rocks in New Sout Wales

…nsw.gov.au/Arakoon-National-Park/…camping

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Trial+Bay+NSW&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wy77UYaaIMmokQX1oIHoCg&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=797

Cheers,

Luxembourg City...
reviews: 127
12. Re: Cheapest flights are to Mackay Airport - good option or not?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. After doing a bit of research and probably scaring myself more then I intended, I think we may give the Whitsundays a pass. So now I just need to figured out what to do from Jan 3 (out of Sydney) and back on Jan 8(Melbourne). So far we are considering flying to Adelaide and going to Kangaroo Island and drive the Great Ocean Drive back down to Melbourne. Any alternative suggestions are welcome.

13. Re: Cheapest flights are to Mackay Airport - good option or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 12, 2014