We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moraga, California
reviews: 11
Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

We will be visiting our daughter in Sydney in March. We wanted to take a side trip. We are debating between Byron Bay or Hamilton Beach, since we love the ocean (not swimming pools) We will be traveling with our daughter, who is in her 20s. We are in our 50s. Our first choice was Hamilton Beach but then I read about the stingers during this time of year. We then are considering Byron Bay since it doesn't seem to have a stinger problem. After reading the Byron Bay reviews I am concerned that it is more of a Spring Break atmosphere. (i think the Australians call it schoolees) Does anyone have an opinion on which place would be better for our family? Thank you!

Airlie Beach...
11. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

Because as soon as I said something about the weather we received rain lol. So today not bad just not perfect, passing showers, some heavy and a bit of wind.

bom.gov.au/products/…IDQ60701.94368.shtml

South Pole
reviews: 39
12. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

meekgreek u will be fine at byron bay. lots to see and do other than the beach. and u wont get a better stretch of sand than that from tallows to broken head. more than equal to whitehaven.

sometimes locals get caught up in their own mythology.

Airlie Beach...
13. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

I think if you read the reviews of Aussie Beaches you'll find it isn't the locals that get rapt up in mythology.

As a base Hamilton Island offers so much.

Do the island trips and outer reef trips by sea or treat yourself to a spectaular scenic flight over both.

Snorkel with turtles in one of natures natural wonders or cruise on a yacht around the islands for a day.

Don't want to do much, just go up to one tree hill for a sunset cocktail, spend some time at Catseye Beach, or go for a stroll to Escape Beach and more than likely have it all to yourself.

As for stingers, they are easily managed around the islands (check with island staff) and there will be more casualties at surf beaches in Australia than there will be stinger incidents.

You will have a great time at Byron and you would have had a great time in The Whitsundays as well. Leaves you somewhere to visit next time.

Whitsundays
14. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

You will just have to come for a second visit Meekgreek!

TW

Moraga, California
reviews: 11
15. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

We are currently at Byron Bay and loving every minute of our trip. The weather has been fantastic. I love that I can walk or jog for miles on the beach. The sand in and out of the water is very soft, with no rocks anywhere. I love that we can take a 7 minute stroll into town to get our daily staples, including bakeries, groceries and restaurants. Yes, there are a lot of young people (backpackers) in town but they all seem to be polite and are happy to be in such a beautiful place. There also is a mixture of our age group. Next time we will visit Whitsunday, but for today, I am happy with our decision. Thank You!

16. Re: Byron Bay versus Hamilton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, May 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics