We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message for Abbey

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Message for Abbey

Hi Abbey,

Love reading your comments and advice about Hamilton Island. Our family went there in April, 2003 and loved it. Have been concerned about some negative reviews. Have you noticed any significant decline in the last couple of years? Is the island now overrun with golf buggies?? Was wondering whether you have any advice or recommendations in regard to the apartments/villas available either through the resort or privately through other internet sites? The Poinciana apartments seem to be the most central but don't know if this really matters if you have a buggy. Do the villas on the other side of the island get aircraft noise? Also, if you don't book accommodation through the resort, I assume you don't get the free watersports (catamarans, surf skis)- do you know how much these cost? Can you still be involved in activities such as buggy rally, fish feeding and snorkel etc? Sorry if I've asked too many questions but would appreciate any advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
reviews: 16
1. Re: Message for Abbey

Hi Gilly45

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want, I love answering questions about HI as I think it is a great place for families to holiday but of course I am biased as we have owned a holiday unit for 10 years but the majority of our bookings now are families as the cheap air fares have made it much more affordable to holiday there than it was a few years ago

There has certainly been a lot more development but the plans for the future I think will be good as they intend to revamp the marina area with a boardwalk and more restaurants and shops, certainly in holiday times the restaurants are getting more crowded and there are more buggies but I dont think they are a problem except sometimes parking is a bit scarcer than it used to be

I think the best units are the ones along catseye beach as these are the original units so are very large and most now have been refurbished, they are also the only units on the island with direct beach access so look for Lagoon or Frangipani which is where ours is, it is very quiet down our end and we have our own pool which is heated in winter and has a cover over it in summer, we have a heated spa and b b que area but definitely book privately as private owners charge from $270.00 per night but the island charges approxiately $450.00 a night, yes you do get free use of the water sports when you book through the resort and kids often eat free but add up the difference and see if it is worth it, when you stay in a private apartment you have access to all the facilities on the island and can partake in all activities but things like the buggy rally and fish feeding have a charge anyway whether you book through the island or privately, you just go the main desk and get an activities sheet and away you go

We never hear the planes at all on the beach side so noise isnt a problem, the buggys are great and all private units come with a buggy

Also apartments are much better with children as you get 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, tv, pay tv dvd player, cd player, your own b b que and sometimes a dishwasher and microwave, they are very spacious and well set up

Also remember my other tips on other posts about eating fish and chips down by the marina, a much cheaper alternative than sitting in a restaurant and of course you can order groceries to be delivered from the mainland, makes for cheap breakfasts

Contact me again if you want to know some good sites where private units are advertised

hope this is of some help

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Message for Abbey

Thanks Abbey for your quick and informative reply. Hubby came home from work today with some news about work changes that will probably mean that our holiday plans for this year will have to be put on hold for the time being. However, I would still appreciate your advice re good sites for private units for future reference. Thanks again.

gilly45

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hamilton Island
reviews: 16
3. Re: Message for Abbey

Hi gilly45

No problem, one good site is www.hamiltonisland.stays.com.au - all private apartments so you can negotiate with the owners direct to try and get a good price, each owner has a calendar so you can look for the dates you want and then contact them - our unit is Frangipani F5

take care

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Message for Abbey

Thanks for that Abbey. Looks great. We'll have to see how we go.

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics