We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daydream Island

Which Daydream Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 39
Daydream Island

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice about restaurants (mainly for evening meals) on Daydream?

Have read conflicting reports.

Would be interested to know:

?Eat early

?Book restaurant

?Which restaurant

?Prices

?Types of food

Also, is it necessary to book ahead for water sports such as cats?

Will only be there a few days, so don't want to miss out.

Thanks -Babz

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 89
1. Re: Daydream Island

We went in february, we only booked one meal which was for the seafood buffet. We expected expensive resort prices however we didn't think meals were overly expensive. We did book a day trip to Whitehaven beach. we were able to grab a cat when we wanted.

Whitsundays
2. Re: Daydream Island

Babz you're still researching, well done.

Daydreams nice and the meals are good. The catamarans are generally available, but watch the tides, like a lot of The Whitsunday Beaches it can empty out at a decent low tide, and as no doubt your aware, it is very hard to sail without water. The island will probably have an activity guide so check what times are available or pop down and see the boys at The Watersports.

Go for a snorkel off Sunlovers Beach on the low tide and up along the islands edge to the northern end there is some great coral and lots of fish.

The island does have some specials on at the moment so you might get a deal. Make sure you make use of the twighlight theatre and see the movies on the big open aired cinema down the south end of the resort. You'll see wallabies and goannas and tropical birds an the island, so I think you'll have a great time.

Surfoz how did you find the coral lagoon on Daydream? they put a lot of work into it. February hmmm if I remember correctly I couldn't get out of my shack back then, I was flooded in for a few days early in the month, I hope the weather was kind to you and which trip did you take to Whitehaven?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 89
3. Re: Daydream Island

Hi Airlian

errr it was actually 2006, or was it 2005... Time flies. Anyhow as you know i don't like Hamilton Island so we selected Daydream for a quick break. We were impressed with the staff and the resort in general, very clean and well run. We enjoyed the outdoor theatre as we did the nearby bar / restaurant. We got a great special as well as promo flights so all is all was a great 4 ,5 days. As we love wilflife, marinelife, we did enjoy the lagoon and often visited to watch, found it relaxing. Only downside was the size of the island, strewth we walked around it five times a day, to try and get a bit of exercise.

We did the Fantasea thing which i think you told me is no longer running. It was Whitehaven and snorkelling at Bali Hai. Great day out. What i really wanted to do was to get back to the lookout at Whitehaven for a few hours without crowds, but couldn't work a way of getting there from DI.

cheers

Whitsundays
4. Re: Daydream Island

Surfoz whats a couple of years between mates. Always a problem that. If you wanted to get to Hill Inlet (Whitehaven Lookout) from Airlie you'd have at least 6 options, yet from the resorts it's impossible unless you chopper it. It was a good tour Bali Hai and Whitehaven, better than what they offer now, which is Hamilton, Whitehaven.

Manatray

Reefjet

Whitehaven Express

and a few more are doing daytrips that take in Whitehaven, Hill Inlet and Hook Island (mantary and Luncheon Bays for great snorkelling) while giving you your snorkelling gear, morning and afternnon tea and lunch and picking you up from your Airlie accommodation for $99p/p which is great value for all inclusive trips. They can't service the island for that because they want 25% straight up. Unfortunately, it's their clients that miss out.

Oh well good to hear from you and hope all is well down there, the weather is perfect here at the moment and you know as well as I do surfoz you wouldn't be dead for quids. cheers airlian

Melbourne
reviews: 10
5. Re: Daydream Island

Hi Babz, We ( 2 x Adults and 2 children - M13 & F9) holidayed on Daydream for 5 nights during the Vic School Holidays in Sep 06 and we loved the place. As per other reviews we thought that prices would be sky high, however, we were pleasantly surprised.

The breakfast is great with a large selection of food to choose from.

Lunch we normally took advantage of a BBQ or wrap or roll.

Dinner we could eat at a number of places and we only booked ahead a few times but it wasn't any big deal. The main restaurant varied it's evening meals and had theme nights which was great e.g. seafood night, Italian night etc. The only down fall was that I found it difficult to have a nice cup of coffee at 1030 in the moring! The outdoor movies are great but get a good seat early if a good movie is being shown. I went sailing ever morning with and without the family and I don't sail. By the way the staff are great. Don't be too concerned about tides as staff only let you sail when it's safe to do so. Lots of water sports to take advantage of and you can book it all there plus book Day Trips. We booked a Day Trip ahead and I wish we had waited until we got there as there was more choice on how to do that Day Trip. Daydream is a quiet island, even though it was school holidays. We enjoyed relaxing by the pool, the kids had a great time swimming, making new friends and participating in activities. By the way they have a great mini golf course. I hope this is of some help. Also, I have been told that not all the restuarants are open during quieter times of the year, however, everything was open when we were there.

Sydney
reviews: 4
6. Re: Daydream Island

Please read my review on the Daydream page. It may help you understand that the people who run Daydream Island are themselves in a Daydream about what the hell is going on (or rather not going on) in their "resort". I will never waste either my time or money going back to Daydream Island, despite them offering me free accomodation if I returned - after a detailed complaint. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
7. Re: Daydream Island

*This POST Is one year old.*

Sydney
reviews: 4
8. Re: Daydream Island

I have always been a bit slow.

9. Re: Daydream Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Daydream Island