We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp on a island, ferry?

Which Whitsunday Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sligo, Ireland
reviews: 16
Camp on a island, ferry?

Hi,

I'm looking to camp for maybe 3 or 4 nights on a island that has good snorkelling. We are a couple and will be moving up the coast from agnes water in march and I think this would be cool to do.

What island do you recommend?

What ferry and how much?

Cheaper the better but open to quality ideas.

Thanks

Aidan

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 498
1. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Check out this link it will give you the appropriate information you require.

…qld.gov.au/parks/…camping.html

Sligo, Ireland
2. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

That's great thank you!

Any recommendations on where to pick? Do all spots have good snorkelling or what's the best? Thanks

Manchester, United...
3. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

I don't know about where, but it sounds like an awesome idea! I might do that...

Sligo, Ireland
4. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Ya I just want the best place for snorkelling as there wouldn't be much else to do.

Any tips would be great thanks

Canandaigua
reviews: 117
5. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Maureen's Cove of the listed spots. We just spent a week sailing and snorkeling the Whitsunday's, and Maureen's Cove has more variety of coral and more extensive reef that the other spots listed in the link.

Sligo, Ireland
6. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

just looked up maureens and it sounds perfect! How does it work to get there? Iv seen the Voyager ferry goes to hook but does it go here and can it drop you off and collect you a few days later?

Is Hook island large?

Crayfish beach looks great to...what would be more convienient and how do i go about getting there and back?

Thanks

Seventeen Seventy...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Hi,

Snorkel the coral at Pancake - hard and soft corals, seagrasses, fish, turtles, dugongs. Amazing spot where the salt water and fresh water meet.

Have you heard about the camping trip on Middle Island called "1770 Castaway"? Only $179 per person for flights, snorkelling, evening meal, camp is already set up for you - only 15 people allowed on the camp per day.

Fly out to Middle Island on a 4 seater cessna and land on the beach. You can also walk up to Bustard Head lightstation, unlimited free use of kayaks, tubes. Knock fresh oysters off the rocks for eating (or bait), there's kangaroos & other wildlife there - AMAZING EXPERIENCE. Extra nights are only $35 per person.The staff at the Discover 1770 Information & Tours office at the Caltex petrol station in Agnes Water can help you.

Sligo, Ireland
8. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Cool thanks. Ya we heard of the castaway but interested in doing our own thing somewhere further north.

My mind is set on horn island and Maureen's and crayfish I hope. Just want to figure out ferries and how that works.

Thanks

Canandaigua
reviews: 117
9. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Hook island isn't large, but it isn't something you can hike across. It is very steep with no paths and the beach areas do not connect. Look on Google earth and you will see what I mean.

You could get around with a zodiac if the weather and the tides were right.

You also need to bring all your water!

Sligo, Ireland
10. Re: Camp on a island, ferry?

Do ferries go from airlie to horn? Can't find any online. Or what good snorkelling islands have a ferry that go to them from airlie?

Thanks

Aidan

Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands