We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Which Whitsunday Islands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Qld
reviews: 61
Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Debating about booking a long weekend on Long Island next March but the current ferry timetables has us having to leave Long Island at 8am and hanging about the airport from 9am until a 12noon flight as the next transfer gets in too late. Would we be stuck in the middle of nowhere for 3 hours or can you get into Hamilton marina or somewhere? I wondered about water taxi transfers but can't find any info on net. Thinking better just sticking with staying on HI instead but would prefer Long. Have to decide today as airfare deal ceases.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

It's about a 1km walk (15 minutes) from the HI airport around to the resort (pool & beach).So If its hot head to the pool/beach - there are toilets/change room at the resort pool, and a lovely poolside bar/swim up bar. You can hire catamarans, jet ski's etc at the beach if you want. There are 2 restaurants there where you can get breakfast if you missed it at Long Island.

The walk from airport to the marina is about the same distance - no beach or pool at the marina, but plenty of restaurants, bakery, pub, a few shops and galleries. Stroll around the marina and check out the boats.

You can easily walk from marina to the beach, which takes about 10 min - not a long walk but has a steep little hill to 'slow you down'.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Also, you could hire a 'buggy' around near the resort and spend some time exploring the island. Lot's of fun. Not sure if you can leave the buggy at the airport though, you'd have to check with the hire place.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Forgot to mention there is also a free shuttle bus to get around Hamilton Island, and it does stop at or right near the airport.

Edited: 7:21 pm, September 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 123
4. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Whilst all those suggestions are great you may need to consider what to do with your luggage.

JQ wont let you check in more than 2 hours ahead, and on Hammo we've been caught with them only opening for that flight 90 minutes ahead.

Another option may be the heli transfer

not cheap but you can count it a sightseeing adventure

hamiltonislandair.com/services/island-transf…

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Gosh, they don't make it easy do they. Just assumed luggage drop off at airport 3 hours prior to flight wouldn't be a problem. It's a real deterent for people wanting to spend time on HI in transit. Maybe it's their way of trying to get us to actually stay on Hammo rather than elsewhere:)

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
reviews: 26
6. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

I haven't been able to check bags in anywhere three hours ahead for many years...or perhaps it's just been my luck!

I would have thought that the last thing Airports want to worry about is bags being dropped off many hours before a flight, especially if people could then disappear from the airport (for obvious reasons since 9/11)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Morticia,

It never pays to assume.

It's always good to give TA advice based on direct experience, and even that can become ?? esp when things change over time.

International is 3 hours, and in some cases that is even airline dependent. That's why they have luggage places you pay to use in major airports.

Brisbane, Qld
reviews: 61
8. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Thanks for all your advice-EXACTLY what I needed to know. Reassured not that far if we did decide to walk to beach/marina to spend time/grab something to eat even if we have luggage-it will only be light as only planning a long weekend so carry-on. I figured we wouldn't be able to dump and go-found that out in totally different circumstances before elsewhere so now prepared in that regard. Now have to convince hubby that its worth the hassle of changing islands....he is leaning to just staying on HI.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Personally, I love Hamilton Island - so I'm with your hubby on that one:)

Our last 3 or 4 trips have been overseas and have been able to check bags in quite early - just forgot domestic is a different kettle of fish.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Wait times Hamilton Island airport urgent

Gecko,

TBH I don;t think it is worth the hassle esp if it is only a few days. You lose a lot of holiday in transfer times.

Long is certainly much quieter than Hammo if that is what your aim is, and probably cheaper.

Morticia, not all international are 3 hours...Air Van as an example only opened for check in 2.5 hours before our flight in July. Some Emirates flights are only 2 hours.

it isn't about domestic or international, it's about the airline and the specific airport.

Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands