We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

Yulara, Australia
Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

Obviously the bus trip from Cairns is quite long but how small are the planes? We will be travelling with a 3 year old who loves buses but wont be too happy on a tiny aircraft! Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
1. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

usually a cessna.

have a look at hinterland website as it outlines their fleet.

They fly quite low so you can see out the window. You obviously can't get up and walk around but you shouldn't be on a bus either.

Yulara, Australia
2. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

i was just reading about it, the only thing that concerns me is that our son will not have a luggage allowance, and only 32kg per person is allowed

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 11
3. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

Bus trip kind of nice, they show a movie. You also see the tallest peak in QLD..Mt Bartle Frere enroute and see tons of sugar cane lol. Not far, takes about 1.5 hours. The ferry trip is real nice, may see dolphins and turtles. Is only a few km offshore, looks close enough to swim to. You may want to day trip back to Mission Beach, there are water taxis - really beautiful spot though the stretch of beaches that comprise Mission Beach locality run for about 20km so better with a car - still!

Mission beach famous for the cassowary and I was fortunate to have a very close encounter with a Mum, Dad and chick on my very first visit. Been back probably 20 times and not seen a one again. Magical spot still though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
4. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

The luggage allowance is more than ample..you only get 20kg on domestic flights, hopefully the extras you bring eg pusher/stroller aren't 12kg. Hinterland will store excess luggage at the terminal (car seat etc)

I gather the 3 yo isn't yet 3 as they get 32kg of their own other wise.

If planning to do it this way then I'd do the bus trip....a 3yo on your knees for an houir in the seats wont be pleasant for either of you.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 74
5. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

We took the minibus trip (a couple of years ago now). It was in a word - horrible with a 3 and 5 year old for the following reasons:

seats very close together (think 33% smaller than economy in a domestic aircraft). Our minibus was full and it was cramped and uncomfortable.

minibus did laps of the airport waiting for other passengers to arrive - trip took over 2 hours

no stops along the way

we had to work really hard to keep our kids quiet and happy e.g. colouring in books, snacks etc

It may have improved - there was no movie when we took the trip but if I had a choice I would fly.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 74
6. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

I forgot to add - have you considered a car tfr. Apparently it possible to arrange and may be an easier and more flexible option - worth looking into.

7. Re: Bus Trip vs Hinterland Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dunk Island