We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Ashby de la Zouch...
reviews: 4
Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Hi All, Me again.

Seems as you have all been so helpful i have 1 further question please?

We had pretty much decided on the 2 night pro dive trip but seems as we'll be in PD for xmas just before the trip i was wondering if we might be better extending our time in PD and doing 3 day trips. (we both already dive so not looking for a course)

How do the reefs compare that can be reached on a day trips from PD vs the 4 that Pro dive usualy visit (Pellowe Reef, Milln Reef, Thetford Reef and Flynn Reef)

If PD is looking more favourable what companies would you suggest we contact that are more greared up for divers rather that snorkelers and that have small ish groups ideally.

Thanks again

R xx

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 25
1. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Its just my opinion but liveaboard diving always seems so much better quality than a day trip and you normally can get at least one extra dive in and they will generally do night dives as well. So much time is spent getting out to the sites and back if you do a day trip. Its awesome waking up and having a bit of brekkie then jumping in for an early morning dive.

The site I loved best was the cod hole, but its a long trip from cairns/PD and I think you need a minimum 3 night trip.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 41
2. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

I agree that a liveaboard will usually get you to better dive sites, but if you are only looking at a 2 day trip it may not make as much of a difference. Plus it is the wet season so it may be more comfortable spending your nights on shore.

Have you emailed the dive shops to get some information on the dive sites for the day trips vs the 2 day trip? It might help, especially as you are travelling in the low season. Make sure if you are doing multiple day trips you know what is available so you don't end up repeating sites.

At the end of the day I'm sure you will enjoy your trip whichever one you choose.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
reviews: 41
3. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Oops I just realised you said 2 night trip not 2 day trip.

If that means you have three full days you are highly likely to get to better sites than on day trips.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
4. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Tough call..... Personally, my favourite times to dive are sunrise (day and night fishes all at once) and night diving (just because it is such a different experience). This is of course only an option on a live aboard.

That said I do think the reefs are often better north of Cairns.

Is a live aboard trip to the Cod Hole / Osprey Reef within your budget ? These trips can be very expensive IMO worth the extra expense.

Evan as a Cairns local (with obvious bias) I must say all the day boats out of PD are very good but my favourite is the "Silver Series" boats

Ashby de la Zouch...
5. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Unfortunatly the 3 night trips are not within our budget :-(

The silver series look good, i've just contacted them to see if we did 3 days with them if any sites would be repeated. It looks like they visit the agincourt reef which is one of the ones i've read about.

I do like a night dive so that may end up being the deciding factor.

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
6. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

We did both a day trip out of PD to Agincourt and a 3D/2N Liveaboard out of Cairns with Deep Sea Divers Den. Both were great. We prefer the liveaboard because you can do one or two more dives per day, and you don't have the daily 90 minute commute each way.

http://diversden.com.au/oq3d2n.htm (11 dives in 3 days/2 nights)

Ashby de la Zouch...
7. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Thanks

How did the reefs compare out of cairns to the agincourt from pd in your opinion?

Edmonton, Canada
8. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

I don't think I can make an adequate comparision between the two locations, other than we enjoyed both. We were doing our open water certification dives with Deep Sea Divers Den in July 2009, so it's been a while. Hopefully, someone that has been there more recently will chime in. Also, we were concentrating on our skills, so were somewhat oblivious to the reef quality. I'll go through our log books and PM you with details.

Auckland Region...
9. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

Hi,

I've booked a trip to CAirns and relly want to get the best out of my trip. From the U.K and i was looking at the Liveboards to experience the reef, however my husband and i have never dived before! We only there for 5 days, can anyone suggest please? Also, where would be the best place to stay in terms of being near a fab beach so we can relax, snorkel etc but also be close to restaurants?

We leave in 2 weeks!

Thanks

Ruby

Edmonton, Canada
10. Re: Pro dive 2 night live aboard or day trips from PD

With only 5 days, I'd suggest snorkeling rather than diving. That way you can concentrate on enjoying all there is to see, rather than on diving skills. There is plenty to see close to the surface.

As far as I know, the reef (snorkeling) is a 60-90 minute boat ride from Cairns, so not close to any restaurants other than the liveaboard.

Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef