We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Darwin to Townsville

Which Townsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Driving from Darwin to Townsville

Trying to decide wether to drive or fly, would like to drive just to see a bit of country. I would be travelling in early January in a Holden Calais. Will I have issues with flooding or will it be safe as houses? Thanks anyone who knows, I'm reading conflicting stories.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 72
1. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

You should be OK in early January.

It'll take a few days and it's dead boring. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
2. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

I would just fly....& do some driving when you arrive in Townsville. Jan is extremely hot in NT & Nth Qld & its also Cyclone Season in Nth Qld.

It approx 2,505 km drive from Darwin to Townsville... & just a 2.5hr flight.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

That's a long drive with a whole lot of nothing in between, no doubt with a multitude of road trains along the way. Calais would make the drive very easily and have no problem dispatching said road trains, but would agree flying would be the better option. You would have heard all of Slim Dusty's music though if you listen to the radio on the drive!

Darwin, Australia
4. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

Thanks very much for your replies, might just fly :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
5. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

Yes as Ellemay says...It's cyclone season...Tho' it really doesn't matter if you're in Darwin or Townsville during this period...Both places are cyclone prone...

Remember '71 Townsville or '74 Darwin....

Coming from Darwin,thought you might be well informed of this fact....??...

Luck of the draw...Keep an eye on the weather patterns in December/January...

NZ
reviews: 26
6. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

There's an awful lot of not very much between an occasional interesting stop. Far better to fly and perhaps do a short trip to the Katherine Gorge ex Darwin.

Townsville...
reviews: 44
7. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

There are some interesting stops on the way if you have never driven that route. But depends on what you want to do. If there is a lot of rain the roads can be cut especially between Mt Isa and Townsville. It is also the hottest time of year. In saying that we have driven between there in January on a couple of occassions with no problems. The country is interesting as you will be going from wet tropics to desert then dry tropics. Interesting places on the way. The underground mine and museum at Mt Isa. Dinosaur diggings etc around Richmond. Charters Towers Goldmining history. In Nt you can stop at Katherine see the gorge and the hot water springs. Daly Waters is a nice overnight stop at the old hotel. But between this is a lot of nothing as previous posters have said but I love long road trips and enjoyed it. The accomodation, food etc can be hideously expensive due to the roadhouses being so remote and having to run on generators.

Darwin, Australia
8. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

Thanks heaps folks for your info, will fly this time, the next opportunity I will drive but in a 4wd just in case :)

9. Re: Driving from Darwin to Townsville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, January 11, 2014