We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

Which Surfers Paradise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

Hi all, im planning for a holiday at Gold Coast with my hubby and 2 kids (5 and 4 years old) in October for the 1st time for 6 to 7 nights. Im still thinking if I should go Free and Easy or Tour package.

I would like to check a few qns, hope someone can help and advise.

1) Is it advisable to take Scoot airway direct to Gold coast. Any reviews on Scoot airway especially with kids? Or should I go to Brisbane on a better flight and transfer to Gold Coast ?

2) Is October a good time to visit Gold Coast? Any school holidays or any events at this time?

3) Where should I stay in Gold Coast? Is an apartment in Surfers Paradise a good choice?

I have actually read on Meriton Service Apartment Southport. Is it a convenient location?

Is this service apartment strict on the maximum occupancy because im thinking of booking a 1 bedroom apartment instead of a 2 bedroom which is for 4 pax.

4) Im have a rough idea on the places I would like to visit and we should be going by public transport, so are there buses from the apartment too the following places?

Movie world / SeaWorld / Dream world / Currumbin Sanctuary / Paradise Country / Cararra Markets / Pacific Fair Shopping Centre

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

- Tour or free and easy: Gold Coast is very easy to do on your own, as long as you've done a little bit of research on what you want to do and so forth. Therefore, I don't think a tour will be necessary at all, but ultimately, go with whatever you are comfortable with. If you look back at past threads, you'll see that many families from Singapore have come to the Gold Coast and gone the free and easy option, so, I don't think you'll have too many issues either.

(1) I think direct is always a good idea, simply because you will need to factor in transfer costs (but, if budget is no problem or you like full-cost airlines, then, no worries). Unless you want to hire a rental car from Brisbane Airport to the GC, you are only left with private transfer through a company like Con-X-ion or taking the AirTrain (this is assuming your flight arrives during "normal" hours and not after midnight, which some flights do because if yours does, then Con-X-ion or a night stay at a hotel in Brisbane will be your only option, if you plan to come directly to the GC).

HOWEVER, be aware that Scoot is a budget airline, therefore, you are not going to get any of what the full cost airlines offer. Maybe consider contacting others who have taken Scoot. I remember that TA member Ruby124 took Scoot last year (but their daughter is older than your children) and are considering returning to the GC in June again this year. You can also google around for some reviews.

Once again, ultimately, it depends on you and what's best for your family. It is still a long journey, so, I can imagine that a full-cost airline might be a better idea. If you go for the full-cost airline landing in Brisbane Airport, try get one that doesn't land after 11PM or midnight because your options of how to get to the Gold Coast are then severely limited.

2) School holidays occur in late September to early October for Queensland students, so, students returning to school around 7th October. For some states/territories, school holidays go until mid October, so, students returning around 14th October back to school. I would advise that, if possible, avoid going into November because mid-November is when Schoolies (end of year school celebrations start), and Surfers Paradise will be filled with teenagers.

3) If you like convenience, then, yes, Surfers Paradise is a good place to stay because shops open later and there are most of the tourist things there. However, other areas like Broadbeach (just before Surfers Paradise) is worth checking out too because it's more family friendly.

Have you looked at Meriton Apartments in Broadbeach? I know the Southport ones are cheaper, but be aware that, if you are relying on the public bus to get around, then, it's not really in a very convenient location. If you want to stay there, it is better to have a rental car.

Meriton is generally pretty strict on their limits, but with young children, they might go easier. However, it's always best to contact them directly.

4) As mentioned, I personally wouldn't stay in Southport if you rely on public transport because it's not very convenient. What is your budget range for accommodation per night, and perhaps, we can suggest some in more well located spots to make catching the public bus easier.

If you stay in Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, etc., none of the places you mentioned will be difficult to get to by public bus.

If you want to look at a list of some hotels/apartments and get an idea of what kind of prices they're charging in October, I recommend looking at www.wotif.com/ Even though you might not want to book through that website, you can use it as a good tool to see what options are available within your budget range. Also, there are usually some discounts if you stay longer.

Let us know more about your budget, and hopefully, we can help you out more with accommodation suggestions!

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

Hi, wow thanks for the great info.

I will check with Ruby124 on the Scoot Airline.

My budget for hotel would probably be less then S$120 per night.

Would also like to check is Tangalooma worth going?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

http://www.alwaysonvacation.com.au/ is good for searching Gold Coast accommodation. Enjoy your trip! :)

4. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

$120 would be rather tight - perhaps, do-able for a one-bedroom apartment (assuming they allow you to stay together in one), but you'd have rather limited options if you were wanting a 2-bedroom apartment instead.

Some hotels might have 2 double beds, which might be around your budget range.

Not sure if you can stretch your budget, but, if you can, you'll have more choices available. October isn't low-season anymore (like it is in Winter), so, expect prices to be a little bit higher.

Melbourne
reviews: 15
5. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

We went to the Gold Coast in September last year with our 4 year old and a baby. We stayed in Surfers Paradise and used public transport to go to Dreamworld and Seaworld. These were the only theme parks we went to, but it was easy to get the bus there and back.

We stayed at Breakfree Peninsula in a 2 bedroom apartment. I can't remember what it cost though. It was very close to the beach which was handy, plus had a couple of pools, small kids playground, BBQ area on site.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

Hi mumwithbub, was the bus stop near to your hotel?

7. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

If you can increase your budget per night, there are lots of apartment options available like Moorings on Cavill, Circle on Cavill, etc. in Surfers Paradise, and in Broadbeach, there's apartments like Meriton Broadbeach, Ocean Pacific Resort, etc.

Hotel-wise, Vibe Hotel is in an excellent location with the main bus stop in Surfers Paradise right outside. It's really a basic and nothing fancy hotel though.

Edited: 8:39 pm, May 27, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

hi, yeah i read about vibe hotel too. I will work out my budget so that there are more options.

btw is tangalooma worth going?

reviews: 17
9. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

Hi ballarina,

1) great budget airline but you will need to bring an iPad with movies and games to keep the kids entertained. Comfy seats but be prepared to pay for food, drinks etc. Very convenient to catch public transport to Surfers Paradise from Gold Coast airport.

2) nice and hot in October but try later half of October as it's not Australian school holidays which means discounts :)

3) stay in surfers paradise either circle on cavill or chevron renaissance. Go to holidayholiday.com.au and ask them for a 1 bedroom plus study room which will accommodate 4 people as a great option to save on money. These are also self contained Apartments and you get shopping and supermarkets downstairs.

4) buses are right outside these resorts and check out the beachfront markets I think on Wednesdays and Fridays on the esplanade. Probably prefer currumbin to paradise country. You missed out SeaWorld from your list. That's a must go!

5) I love tangalooma. Had a great trip several years ago but a day trip probably suffice. The highlight was definitely the dolphin feeding. Ask the team at holidayholiday to organize a transfer to tangalooma for you.

Hope this helps and you'll have lots of fun there!!!

10. Re: Planning a trip to Gold Coast (2A+2C) in mid October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:01 pm, June 24, 2013