We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Holiday Club

Which Surfers Paradise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings
reviews: 1
The Holiday Club

Has anyone on holiday encountered these people selling expensive accommodation and holidays at cheap prices if you sign up with them? Are they as good as they sound, or is it a bit of a scam?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
reviews: 14
1. Re: The Holiday Club

is it time share maybe???

South Pole
reviews: 38
2. Re: The Holiday Club

http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/05-169+Holiday+Club+Pacific+to+stop+using+ASIC%E2%80%99s+name+and+logo+to+hawk+timeshare?openDocument

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
reviews: 27
3. Re: The Holiday Club

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Time Share touts are a problem in many popular tourist locations and the scratch and win tickets are old as the hills. Nobody loses btw.

I would avoid like the plague.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
reviews: 117
4. Re: The Holiday Club

What you are being offered is probably timeshare or a derivative of timeshare. In return for attending a very slick high pressure sales presentation you can walk away with some very good goodies. A warning though do not take your cheque book or credit cards to any presentation. The presentaions are so slick that heaps and heaps of people become so entranced in the product that they sign up on the spot. The deal today is always available tomorrow. If it wasnt, what would they offer tomorrow. Be prepared if you decline to sign, to get a real hard time from the "Manager" who will use all his powers of persuasion and even belittle you to make you sign on the day.

I have been a timeshare owner for over 20 years and I bought my first timeshare in Coolangatta. We had done our homework before we left NZ and did every timeshare presentation available and ended up buying at Beach House. We came over for a week and we had a free breakfast every day, free lunch every day, did every cruise, tasted the horrendus free bubbly wine imaginable, got the tee shirts, hats you name it we got it. At the end of the week we knew the presentation format better than the professionals as they are nearly all the same. The reason they are the same, is because they work.

If you get a scratchie the trips and cruises are never on your ticket. If you attend the presentation your reward will be a stay at a timeshare resort and there will be an Admin cost involved.

If you are on holiday stay on holiday and tell the touts to go away. If you are looking for holiday accomodation or an investment property then treat the next trip as the investment purchase trip. The two dont go hand in glove because your head is in the wrong place to purchase property when you are in holiday mode and thats what the touts are relying on.

Have a happy holiday

Bowral, Australia
reviews: 3
5. Re: The Holiday Club

We have just returned from the Gold Coast and an exhausting and negative experience with The Holiday Club.

Beware of sweet young women offering free scratch and win!

In " relaxed holiday mode" we agreed to the scratch and win card.

Next came the promise of "only" 90 minutes presentation and no obligation to buy. It was a guaranteed prize of cash, a flat screen tv or a holiday. Why not, we thought?

What were we thinking? After 4 hours, starting with friendly chat, the pressure built up and we were faced with the supervisor, determined not to let us go without a commitment.

It was all about points and glossy books full of 5 star resorts around the world. We could have a "share" of this magic holiday experience!

They also worked out how much we would spend on holidays in the future, if we were silly enough to continue booking them the way we did.

If we didn't want to pay off the $16,000 fee (this was a grey area, as it was confused with directors discounts, points and payment plans - some with interest), there was another plan and another.... and the offer had to be taken today.

Needless to say, there was an answer for every refusal to buy.

They did a great job grinding us down, but we were happily able to escape with our credit cards still in our wallets.

It took a lot of strength to get out of the place.

BTW - the prize that we had to wait to scratch off the panel - was a week at one of their resorts in Thailand - with another "90 minute" presentation.

No way. That glossy prize brochure went straight to the recycling pile.

Free scratch and win ? - Don't do it.

Google it and read the "scam" comments.

Learn from our experience.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
6. Re: The Holiday Club

lynpa,thanks for the report,I thought as much!!

Bowral, Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: The Holiday Club

Yes, Lilyana, we only arrived home this afternoon, but I needed to share our experience, as a warning to others!

Definitely a Timeshare hard sell organisation....to be avoided.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Coolangatta
8. Re: The Holiday Club

lynpa,what frustrates me,is that when they try this ole trickery with me,and I know what they are up to,I tell them Im not interested etc,and say to them that I know what their 'thing' is all about,and they say,oh no,its not that at all!

How silly do they think I am?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 18
9. Re: The Holiday Club

Great advice and well said!

Christchurch, New...
10. Re: The Holiday Club

I would have to agree with lynpa as we have also just returned from the gold coast and had a sweet smiling woman offering scratch cards from the holiday club - they target the theme parks as they are family oriented. I knew this was too good to be true but as one of the children scratched the card and thought she was in to win $2000, we felt pressured to partake in this 90 min presentation........ Needless to say, it was over 90 mins, the "manager " was giving the hard sell but we just were not prepared to part with AUS$16800 which for us was NZ$22000 with no discussion!!! - she wanted us to part with the cash then and there and that was it! of course the prize was a bloody holiday which had an admin fee attached of $199 so not a free holiday! We checked out another couple of cards at the next park and we noticed that they write there name on the backs of the winning cards - the prize always seems to be a holiday - is this legal? We also left with our money in our pockets. Interesting to see how fast she moved off us when she knew she was not going to get a sell from us and onto the next person. They are a business at the end of the day - also don't forget that you have to pay a yearly fee of AUS$150 for the length of the term you have taken out which is offered up as 75 years!