We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiksilver or green island

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 47
Quiksilver or green island

We want to experience the GBR but do not want to swim, scuba or snorkel. Would we be missing out by only visiting Green Island? TIA

8 replies to this topic
MT gambier
reviews: 12
1. Re: Quiksilver or green island

You should go out on many of the huge boats that have around 20 to 50 people on the journey they are experianced men and women that deal with people not used to water I have seen people in the past use life jackets and float around and have look at the fish and coral with goggles only, I think anyone travelling that far and not giving it a go are missing out on a wonderful experiance its so pretty under the water go out of your comfort zone just this once....

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
reviews: 14
2. Re: Quiksilver or green island

My answer would be 'yes' you would definitely be missing out on the best experience by only going to Green Island. It's not on the outer reef so even the view from a glass-bottomed boat would be nothing like what you could see (staying dry!) on the outer reef.

We love Quicksilver! Yes, it is a very large catamaran but for people who are not interested in getting wet to me it's the perfect means to see the outer Great Barrier Reef in all it's stunning glory. The catamaran moors alongside an enormous, stable pontoon, right on the edge of the reef. There's an underwater viewing platform so you can watch the passing fish ... and all the other people snorkelling and diving.

The semi-submersible boat gives you the closest experience to snorkelling that you can get, without getting wet! And you can go as many times as you like as it's all included.

If sitting back enjoying lunch with a cool glass of beer or wine in air-conditioned comfort on the boat is your 'thing' you can do that too!

Quicksilver leaves from Port Douglas but in case you stay in Cairns they have transfers by coach to PD. A similar experience (have not done it ourselves) is Reef Magic from Cairns itself.

If you come all this way it really is a 'must-do'!

England
reviews: 144
3. Re: Quiksilver or green island

Each offer a different experience I think. Green Island has reasonable facilities such as eateries, shops, changing facilities and the tours there also offer snorkeling, glass bottom boats etc., BUT as a reef experience I think Quicksilver is the better option, again you don't need to get wet as their are options to view the reef such as glass bottom boats and their are reasonable facilities on board the larger vessels as well.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
4. Re: Quiksilver or green island

Yes, go out on Quicksilver, but be willing to say "yes" to snorkeling. Take a swimsuit with you just in case you decide you'd like to give it a try. The Quicksilver staff is well-prepared to help those who have never snorkeled before and there are plenty of floatation devices to aid those who are not confident in the water.

UK
5. Re: Quiksilver or green island

Many thanks everyone!! We will do the quicksilver boat, do we have to book? We will be there end Feb. TIA

UK
6. Re: Quiksilver or green island

Many thanks everyone!! We will do the quicksilver boat, do we have to book? We will be there end Feb. TIA

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 13
7. Re: Quiksilver or green island

The end of February is the off-season, the Wet, so I would not recommend booking before arriving in Cairns/PD. Tours shouldn't be booked out since it's low season, and it's also not school holidays. And you want a clear sunny day for the best reef viewing, preferably without too much wind, for the best experience. So based on the short-term weather forecast when you get here, you can pick the best day. Do keep in mind that there is a threat of cyclones affecting the area during this season, which can cancel some cruises and also offer up quite a few consecutive days of poor weather. If there isn't a cyclone, the weather will be very hot and humid! This is why it's the low season...

UK
8. Re: Quiksilver or green island

Brilliant advice, thanks. Sounds like a good plan.

Reply to: Quiksilver or green island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted