We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re staying in the rainforest

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 75
Question re staying in the rainforest

Hi I also posted this in the Daintree forum but thought more may see it here:

I am researching for a special anniversary trip and we are keen to stay in accommodation where we feel that we are in the rainforest. Anniversary is the last weekend of March, but we can put off the trip to say early May to avoid the rain. We will probably do 2-3 nights here and then spend a further 3-4 nights in the PD or PC area.

There appears to be a wide range of pricing, and as this is a special trip the budget is flexible. My question is: where would you suggest we stay in the Daintree area where we will feel that we are really in the rainforest?

thank you in advance.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
1. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

You will likely still encounter tropical showers in May but IMO this is the best way to get the genuine rainforest experience.

If you really want to treat yourself I would look into staying at the Silky Oaks Lodge. A very nice setting about 20 minutes north of Port Douglas and slightly over an hour's drive to Cape Tribulation

http://www.silkyoakslodge.com.au

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
reviews: 14
2. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

Another vote for Silky Oaks especially for a 'special' occasion - stunning tropical location right next to the meandering Mossman River.

Somewhere else you may like to consider is the Daintree Eco-Lodge which is currently undergoing major refurbishment under new owners (they also own Orpheus Island resort). They have only recently taken over but have big plans for the Eco-Lodge - great news for Daintree!

Sydney
3. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

thanks, I was eyeing off those two, although D E Lodge is getting mixed reviews. If we get there after the refurb we should be happy. Happy to spend less if it gives the "in the rainforest" experience, any suggestions by way of comparision? I was also looking at Bloomfield - wondering if the big $$ are worth it, and if my other half would be convinced! Not sure that Bloomfield is a very "rainforest" type stay anyhow? It looks a little more open.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
reviews: 14
4. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

First reports re the Eco-Lodge say that all the lodges are being refurbished, new spa being built, boardwalks repaired, restaurant revamped and we also hear that prices are going to be more affordable! I think by next May it will be quite a different place. It's in a magical rainforest setting but unfortunately over the years there has been little maintenance, which is essential to counteract the constant effects of a moist tropical environment.

We haven't been to Bloomfield Lodge so can't comment other than to say that it is extremely remote - hopefully someone will post who has had first-hand experience. Or you could post a new question asking about Bloomfield Lodge.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
5. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

This is the first I have heard about the Eco-Lodge being re-vamped, thanks Sunbird. VERY good news indeed !!

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
6. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

Another place you might consider is Thala Beach Lodge.

Each bungalow has a balcony that gives you a sense of being in the rainforest.

It's south of Port Douglas so not right up in the Daintree and it's certainly not 'old' rainforest but a stunning and relaxing place to stay. The private beach is magical as well.

Sydney
7. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You have helped me formulate some ideas.

Thinking Eco lodge post the refurb, unless something else comes up that ticks the boxes and is more reasonable. Silky oaks coming second, but I think we would like to be further north to visit CT also.

8. Re: Question re staying in the rainforest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014