We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation advice

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 14
Accommodation advice

We are a family of 5 with 3 late teens.

Are there any resorts that have a bit of 'life' about them.. e.g a pool with bar/snack bar ?

Maybe the occasional evening event/entertainment.

Travelling early January.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 45
1. Re: Accommodation advice

There are many resorts but it depends on how close to town you want to stay. If you have your own transport or don't mind using the town bus service then any resort is fine but if you don't have your own transport, I'd recommend that you find something very close to town. It is very humid in January and you won't want to walk a long way in the heat. I stayed at QT when it was known as Rydges which has a pool bar and used to have some entertainment - I'm not sure whether it still does or not. I mostly stay in self-contained accomodation when in Port Douglas so don't have a lot of info on the resorts.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
2. Re: Accommodation advice

Hi,

As mentioned Jan is extremely hot & humid in PD plus its also Stinger Season.( which means you cannot swim in the ocean without a stinger suit ) So I would be definitely going for a resort with the biggest swimming pools like the Sheraton. Maybe consider a villa villa.

www.marinestingers.com.au

Edinburgh, United...
3. Re: Accommodation advice

Thanks very much. I will have a look around.

Edinburgh, United...
4. Re: Accommodation advice

Great thanks, I definitely won't be looking for a beach resort then.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
5. Re: Accommodation advice

There is very little to see and do in PD, have you considered Cairns as an option ?

sydney
reviews: 6
6. Re: Accommodation advice

Cairns is more a working town plus backpacker presence. Cairns has a poorer feel to it and my view is that it is just to arrive and head to the resort town of Port Douglas where there are more pubs and thinks to do. Cairns is a disappointment generally.

Edinburgh, United...
7. Re: Accommodation advice

Thanks everyone, decided to head straight to Port Douglas, explore area in hire car for 3 days then back to Cairns for the day before we fly..

Groton, New York
8. Re: Accommodation advice

We stayed at the QT in Sept and it definitely has a cool hip feeling to it with a great pool area (with lounge beds even) and an indoor/outdoor lounge the serves great food and drinks as well as a pool bar. They also had outdoor movies while we were there but we didn't get to them. We had a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen and living room and it even had a washer/dryer which is a huge help when travelling. We really enjoyed the resort and would recommend it without hesitation.

sydney
reviews: 34
9. Re: Accommodation advice

We stayed at QT in October. Lovely hotel, small rooms, but fantastic pool with swim up bar and would be great for family holiday with teenagers. Music playing from the pool bar during the day and live music in the bistro area at night. The main disadvantage is that PD is not really walking distance, so need to drive in, taxi or take the shuttle bus $5.00 per person each way.

Great bar menu and surroundings, but main restaurant very pricey at $65.00 each for the dinner buffet.

sydney
reviews: 34
10. Re: Accommodation advice

QT Port Douglas. It is a few kms outside the centre of PD as most of the resorts are. It has a fantastic pool, really large and interesting with music and bar service. The main restaurant is pricey, but there is a great bar area with reasonably priced meals and regular live music. There is a regular shuttle bus to Port Douglas, which is $5.00 per person, if you don't want to use the car.