We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

Flying into Cairns in September but staying in port Douglas for 10 days. Rent a car in cairns or port Douglas? Don't want to find out it is a bit much driving. Staying in town but will try to see the sites gbr, rainforest, outback. At the mercy of the tour buses? Thanks

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
11. Re: Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

And don't forget - the steering wheel is set up for the driver to be in the centre of the road, the same as at home.

I agree with the others - it's the little country roads and pull-outs where your attention csn wander. On a busy highway, you just follow the herd, so to speak.

Of course, it helps to be an aware, competent driver at home. If you're a ditzy goose behind the wheel in your country, there will be no miracle transatlantic cure!

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 61
12. Re: Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

As well as the indicators/ windscreen wipers,when in North America I continually walked up to the car with keys in hand, opened the door, only to find there was no steering wheel there. :(

cairns
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 32
13. Re: Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

Hi

It would be much easier for all us no matter where we come from if we travelled on the same side of the road

We do have some bad crashes up this way with travelers on the wrong side of the road

Just remember to have your wits about you and you will be fine

Have a great holiday

Regards mosiewigs

reviews: 2
14. Re: Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

The steering wheel on the passenger side is what will take some getting use to. I'm sure I'll be waking around the car more than a few times. A safe driver here so will be one there ,no worries right.thanks

15. Re: Driving on the left; tough adjustment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 21, 2014