We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kiama, Australia
cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

We're visiting Cairns for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. We're having a tough time deciding where to stay. It's our first holiday with our daughter, she will be 16 months old, is incredibly active and is sure to shatter any dream of a relaxing holiday!

We are unsure which area would be best for us. We've been looking at Trinity Beach, Port Douglas and Palm Cove but can't decide where. We were thinking about $150- $200 a night, although i know we probably will need to spend more.We'd like a self contained place, 1 or 2 bedrooms with a nice pool area and preferably near the ocean.

Also, is it safe to swim in the ocean at that time of year? And will the water be warm enough? Any suggestions of things to do/ see that are suitable with a 1 year old?

My husband loves fishing and would like to go out in the ocean. Any recommendations for who to go with?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
1. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

Personally I think Trinity Beach is the most family friendly of the three options you have mentioned.

It is a nice village suburb with a true "beach culture" feel about it, Palm Cove and Port Douglas are very much more tourist style beaches (where other then PD in FNQ can one rent a sun chair on the beach for $15 p/h ??)

Victoria
reviews: 7
2. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

I own an apartment in Yorkeys Knob - one of Cairns northern beach suburbs. It is the most beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with direct access to the pool and opposite a wide sandy beach with views to the mountains.

The apartment is fully self contained with everything you need for your holiday.

I love Yorkeys Knob as it is more residential than touristy with a boat club and a golf club. It is only 15 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from Cairns.

I am probably biased as we use to live in this apartment and I know how comfortable and luxurious it is.

There are no stingers in August so it is safe to swim at the beach. But you may find our pool just as pleasant.

In any event if you are interested search on Tripadvisor for Yorkeys Knob Beachfront Apartment. I will look after you!

Kind regards

Judy

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

self promo, jude.

Victoria
reviews: 7
4. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

Sorry!

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
5. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

I'm with there Jude, I used to live in the southern most apartments on Simms Esplanade at Yorkeys Knob. It is by far my favourite beach in the Cairns area....

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
6. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

Hi there,

I have stayed in both Cairns and Port Douglas with 3 children age ranges 3,4,5. Cairns has no beach but there is a great swimming pool area which is very kid friendly. The free, salt water lagoon pool on the Cairns Esplanade is open every day. The pool has Life Guards and great picnic areas surrounding it. So if you don't mind a pool and don't care that there is no beach (only mud flats), then this may suit you.

If you want the beach definitely stay in Port Douglas. We stayed at Balboa Holiday Apartments. We had a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms but I think there are 1 and 2 bedroom ones too. The pool is small but for little ones it is very kid friendly.

All the best with your travels.

7. Re: cairns beaches holiday with a 1 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2014