We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Reef or White House?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 10
Tropical Reef or White House?

Since there is a hotel going up very near the Central Plaza, I am looking at other alternatives for my family's (me, my wife and 3 boys, ages 17, 14 and 10) mid-August visit (5 nights). I need a non-smoking, 3 bedroom apartment. Tropical Reef and White House look interesting. Any thoughts on either/both? Is the location convenient but quiet? Good pools? Any construction nearby?

Australia
11. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

These maybe slightly more expensive,but have a look anyway

Cayman Villas

The Boathouse

Reflections

Beaches

Not that many with 3 bedders,I'm afraid within the price range that your request and in mid season.

I think you would be happy at Tropical Reef,if you can get an apartment facing Garrick St.

New York
12. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Thanks, I will check them out. If I need to pay more for something good, I will. How about Tropical Nites (or is that below the standard I am looking for)?

Australia
13. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Tropical Nites is the furthest away from all of the mentioned.Again,only some apartments have been refurbished, looks like a nice small complex.Check with the managers to see if you can get one of the refurbished ones.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, try some of those mentioned in my previous post.

New York
14. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Thanks, Travelport. I am looking at those (some do not have 3 bedroom apartments). I have heard from the Tropical Reef Apartments, which you have also recommended. They tell me there is no construction going on near them. Aren't they close to the Outrigger construction or did I misunderstand you? Also, is the Tropical Reef nicer than you say Tropical Nites is (Tropical Reef says their apartments were refurbished in the past couple of years and I think Tropical Nites has done some of that too)? How does Tropical Reef then compare with the other four you gave me?

By the way, just for background, I do not see us using our accomodation as a resort. I see us doing full-day excursions perhaps every day. At most, we may choose to have one day where we hang around and go to the beach, although I doubt we will even do that for a full day. If parking is not a problem, I don't think it would be a big deal to have to drive into town for dinner at night.

Australia
15. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Tropical Reef has two entrances, Davidson St and Garrick St., but not close to Outrigger construction (The White House is the complex that is next door to the Outrigger contruction).

If comparing Tropical Reef and Tropic Nites,I would say that they are probably of the same standard with Tropical Reef very close to town( one minute's walk)and Tropical Nites further away from town( about a 15 minute walk).

These suggestions were made with reference to you requiring accommodation of around $350 per night. You'll find the last ones I mentioned, Cayman,Boathouse and Reflections will be more expensive.

There is also Mandalay which again is more upmarket and again more expensive.

It's difficult to know someone's expectation of accommodation, but I would best describe Tropical Reef and Tropical Nites as clean,slightly older complexes with some refurbished apartments,and if only requiring beds, because you'll mainly be touring,then I think they would suffice.

If you're after a little luxury,look elsewhere than these two.

New York
16. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Thanks. I am looking at Cayman Villas as well. I assume they are not near any construction and are a good step up from the other two apartment complexes we have been discussing?

New York
17. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Cayman Villas advises they are not near any construction. Any info. on this property would be appreciated, including location.

Australia
18. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Hi again tw3k

Cayman is a lovely resort,has a great pool area,undercover outdoor(bbq) area and sun lounges around the pool, so that you can relax on one of your afternoon/days off from touring.

It's not too far from the beach,an easy 3 minute walk,and possibly the same to town,it's located on the corner of Davidson and Mowbray Sts,although the entrance is in Mowbray St. They are actually quite close to the new Outrigger building site but far enough away from noise, probably the same distance as Tropical Reef apartments.There are 3 free standing block of apartments so ask for a unit in the block NOT near Davidson Street,but the ones closer to Mudlo Street and if you can get a pool view room (asking too much!!!) and I'll think you'll be happy there.Good luck.

New York
19. Re: Tropical Reef or White House?

Thanks, Travelport. Sounds like the Cayman Villas are a step or two up from Tropical Reef, Tropical Nites and the White House. I assume you meant ask for a room near Mowbray, not Mudlo.

By the way, it seems that every hotel has a saltwater pool, not fresh water. Do you know why this is?