We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas accommodation for families

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington new...
Port Douglas accommodation for families

Hi going to Port Douglas in July, any ideas on good accommodation for family of 5, without totally breaking the budget?

Also what is the best reef trip to go on? Quicksilver does not appeal to big an operation.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 146
1. Re: Port Douglas accommodation for families

I'll leave Travelport to discuss the accom choices..

Reef trips...dive or snorkel?

If you only wish to snorkel the best option would probably be Wavelength.. they go to snorkel specific sites and take about 30 people... great with kids

My other preferred option for Diving and Snorkelling is Poseidon.. slightly bigger operation but much smaller than quicksilver.. Haba and Calypso have been suggested by others.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
2. Re: Port Douglas accommodation for families

You may want to take a look at "At the Mango Tree" serviced apartments. We have stayed there on two occasions and found it to be well-maintained, quiet, close to both the beach and town and reasonably-priced. Our last stay was in August when we rented a 2-bedroom townhouse for (as I remember) AU$200 per night. The main bedroom had a queen-size bed and the other bedroom had two twin beds and a set of bunk beds. There was a full bath on the top floor and a toilet & sink on the main floor. The unit also had a washer/dryer. (The unit is only serviced weekly, so you have to clean after yourselves and wash your own towels, etc.)

Australia
3. Re: Port Douglas accommodation for families

I would have to agree with the two posts.

I noticed a review also on Central Plaza yesterday which sounded good and it's closer to town.

There are many good budget accommodation places in Port Douglas. I would try the www.pddt.com.au which is the Port Douglas and Daintree Tourism website and look for budget accomodation through that for rate comparison.

Unfortunately July is peak season so good deals will be hard to find.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
4. Re: Port Douglas accommodation for families

I just posted the review of Central Plaza. There is also a thread about those apts. on the forum page that I posted info on. We really liked it, and would not have wanted to stay any further from the beach/macrossan street. Our children are 6,5,3 - so the closer the better! Have had some friends stay at Port Douglas Beachfront Terrace on the Esplande and they had a good experience.

We went to the Low Isles with all the kids with Wavedancer, but if your kids are good snorkellers - go straight to the outer reef. Our best trip was with the 2 older kids on Haba - great snorkelling and they had great gear/wetsuits for the kids. We only had 60 on our boat the day we went (last week), but it holds 110. The smaller group probably made it more enjoyable.

I'm trying to get my act together and post an update on our trip the next few days! Deac in Oz.