We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 21
Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I am booked for the 3 day liveaboard with Deep Sea Divers Den in September, and the only thing they can tell me is that their gear goes up to XL... and I happen to be a size that sometimes needs an XL and sometimes needs an XXL depending on the brand, etc. I'm flying in from America and really don't want to purchase a brand new wetsuit and BC and haul it over if I don't have to, but they don't have any more details or knowledge on the gear they provide in terms of measurements, etc.

Is there a plus size person out there that has dived with Deep Sea Divers Den and can tell me if you struggled to get into their suits or BC's? I'm at a loss, new wetsuit and BC would be a big expense not to mention a lot of extra gear to fly over, if it turns out their stuff would fit me fine... any insight would really help me out.

11 replies to this topic
Oz
reviews: 32
1. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Hi,

Lets see it's now the end of July so you have about six weeks.................the math is???

http://www.jennycraig.com/

Cheers,

2. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I'm on the treadmill literally as I'm reading this ;) but thanks I guess.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
3. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Send them your measurements & ask if their gear will fit you. Probably varies from make to make, like other clothing

4. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Yeah, I tried that, but they said they have no information on the rental gear measurements. She couldn't even tell me what brand it might be so I could look up sizing charts myself, she just said to 'google around for different brands'. Thank you for the suggestion though, if only they made it that easy :)

Even if anyone has dived with them and remembers what brands they use that'd be super helpful for me figuring out my game plan!

Edited: 2:07 am, July 30, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
5. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I am inclined to suggest using a different company. I cannot see what would be so hard for them to tell you where they rent the gear from and what brands. They actually sound really unhelpful and that alone would put me off as a customer.

What about contacting a few of the rental companies themselves and getting sizings from them and then organise to rent separately from the actual trip.

6. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Not a bad idea... I was super frustrated by how unhelpful (and frankly a bit rude) she was, but otherwise they have great reviews and good prices so I talked myself out of canceling over it. That, and the cancellation fee, haha. But if another company can at least give me some information on whether I have to bring my own gear or not it might be worth it. The gear definitely costs more than the cancellation fee anyway!

I might call around to some other options tomorrow... thanks for validating my annoyance :) haha.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
7. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

Hopefully a Cairns local can point you towards some of the actual gear rental companies.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
8. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I agree PP & Tay.

It's hardly a difficult request and if that's their attitude before you even get there ( the "courtship stage" supposedly), what will they be like when they get their hands on your heard earned?

Unfortunately I can't help with any better local knowledge. Give Pro-Dive a try. They used to be good when I went up there a lot.

GurusW will probably know who's who

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
reviews: 142
9. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I've not used Deep Sea divers so can't comment on their equipment.

My choices would be Pro Dive or Tusa (both of these also outsource to Spirit of freedom)

Pro Dive does give you a 48 hour before cancellation package. They also have a fitting the night before for equipment so if things don't fit you have a few options…

Contacting either or both won't hurt and you will ay least get a feel for their style of service

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?

I've spent some time on that boat and while I'm not aware of any exact sizes I never saw anyone who didn't fit in the gear they have. A tourist boat generally caters for all sizes.

I hope that helped a bit

Reply to: Sizing on Deep Sea Divers Den gear?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted