We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plenty of accommodation?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 8
Plenty of accommodation?

We (my parents and I, all adults) are flying into Cairns around the 30th June, will hire a car and wander up to Port Douglas. My question is, do you think we should book accommodation now or will there be plenty of options available as we go? Are there any activities happening around that time that can cause hotels to be booked out? We are hoping to stay for about 10 days. And are the beaches swimsafe? In regards to stingies & crocs?

Thanks Tanya

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
1. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

June will be fine for swimming at Four Mile Beach. No stingers there at that time of year. The crocs.... they are in the "Cairns Region" all year round. Stay away from where rivers enter the ocean.

Make sure you get to the Sunday market at Port Douglas if you are staying there for 10 days. If you want 10 days at the same place, I'd be booking something NOW.

Are you after a resort or condo/apartment type place? Any budget in mind?

JUNE 24th is when the Queensland kids are out of school! Keep that in mind when booking activities!

Edited: 11:26 am, June 12, 2013
Auckland Region...
2. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

Thanks for your help Nanaimo. Love markets so that will def be on my list of things to do. Yeh was worried about the school hols. Very helpful thx

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
3. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

I forgot to mention....wotif is a website I see mentioned a lot on the Aussie forums for looking for places. It is a site I have never used and am not familiar with at all. It may be worth a look.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
4. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

You are arriving at peak season! Accomadation will be tight and cost more. Wottif is very popular Down Under for last minute deals. If you have a car many more options. Cairns Tourism has local deals on their site but in peak season not so many though from what I hear it's a slow start. Port Douglass can be very busy in the season and not what most people expect. Thalia beach resort is a 15 minute drive from Port check out it's reviews here snd the beach is magic, no crowds just peace, nature, reef and rainforest at your door.

Auckland Region...
5. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

Thanks. We do plan to meander up to PD and maybe stop and stay along the way. So thanks for the advice.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 3
6. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

www.wotif.com is a great website for discounted accommodation. I suggest booking accommodation for the first night, that way you can work out where you are and where to go next. You locations to stay north of cairns include all the beaches Holloways Beach (Cairns Beach Resort), Yorkeys Knob, Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach, Clifton Beach, Palm Cove, Ellis Beach, Thala Resort, Port Douglas (lots of options) & Cape Tribulation. Suggest staying in Cairns for the first night and work out a plan from there.

Auckland Region...
7. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

Thanks for your message. I have already booked now as it is school hols I was worried that places would be booked out. Really looking forward to our holiday in the sun. Thx, Tanya

8. Re: Plenty of accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 25, 2014