We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 106
Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Heading to Cairns area tomorrow for 11 days. Will have a rental car for entire time.

I originally baulked at the train/skyway price & was just going to drive to Kuranda & do what stops I can on the way by car. Looking at reviews of the train trip, the value seemed to vary depending whether you got a window seat or not & what side of train you sit. Now I'm thinking the Skyway only price is a bit more reasonable, especially one way. But if I was to drive to Kuranda, get Skyway down, how difficult is it to get a bus from Skyway bottom station back to Kuranda to get the car. If the only way to do it was shuttle to Cairns city & then bus to Kuranda, I think it would be too much hassle & probably not a lot cheaper than just getting return Skyway.

Or am I not really missing much by just doing it by car?

ps. I should add that photography is a high priority

Edited: 10:05 pm, May 16, 2013
Sydney
reviews: 29
1. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Since photography is your priority and not the ride, i'd just drive.

Getting good photographs from the skyway isn't going to be easy. You can get to the Barron Falls platform (where the train stops) by car fairly easily, and get even get the train in the shot if you're not on it. There are nice rainforest walks that you can access by car.

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

yes I know what you mean about Baron Falls platform. I have noted train times & sun direction so I can get a shot of it with waterfall

cairns
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 32
3. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Hi dags 111

You would be better off driving as there is no bus back up to Kuranda that i know of from Skyrail

Regards mosiewigs

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

guess we are there 11 days so will drive up, but if get urge to do the Skyrail later in week, do a return trip

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
reviews: 82
5. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Park the car in the car park and do the Skyrail up and down, it is fabulous,,,, great spot for photos at the mid station.

Cairns, Australia
reviews: 8
6. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

Look up "John's Kuranda bus", a Kuranda local that was annoyed with the lack of public transport between Cairns and Kuranda - so he started his own bus. I am not sure of the price these days but he basically charges a fee to pay for rego/insurance and fuel costs the price was $5 for a long time but I am sure the price will have gone up.....

This is a PDF link that shows transfer times but more importantly has his phone number, give him a call - he is a decent guy

kuranda.org/wp-content/…johnsbus09.pdf

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
7. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

The Skyway offers superb photo opportunities that the road can't. My advice drive to Kuranda and get there before the first train arrives, the place before tourists is so different! Take skyway both ways it is one of the longest cable card in the world and the views, wow!. There is the other train once or twice a week that goes to Forsyth "Savanalander" take this up and skyway back? It's a cheaper and better option but if you go one way then you will want to go the other on sky rail.

8. Re: Skyway 1 way, return or just drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 20, 2014