We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bowen australia?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
reviews: 8
Bowen australia?

what is any ones thoughts on the town of Bowen? Is it worth visiting?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 29
1. Re: Bowen australia?

Its a very small town, if you are passing through and need a break- its worth a quick stop for a bite to eat and a look around their foreshore.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
reviews: 14
2. Re: Bowen australia?

It's about 400 miles south of Cairns so unless you were driving down the coast from Cairns to Brisbane (about 1100 miles) it's not really somewhere you would choose as a destination. (Apologies to any Bowen-ites!)

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
3. Re: Bowen australia?

If you wanted to stop somewhere overnight if you were doing a road trip leaving from Cairns- I would make time for Townsville and spend an afternoon there. You can then get from here to say Mackay or Whistundays in a leisuely drive in say 5 hours maximum,

I guess it depends on why and what you are doing. There are MANY beautiful places to stop on the way down that are well worth a look.

cairns
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 32
4. Re: Bowen australia?

HI

What is it about Bowen that you want to know, where it is, what is there, are you planning on driving south like to Brisbane????? It is a very small town not much there at all

Regards mosiewigs

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 633
5. Re: Bowen australia?

Hi,

Bowen may be small but it does have some lovely beaches. As mentioned by others it depends why you want to go there ??

If you are driving down the coast - have a read through the link below its full of helpful tips & info.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Bend, Oregon
reviews: 8
6. Re: Bowen australia?

thanks for the info. We are going to be in Cairns for a week and (I'know this sounds stupid) but our son's name is Bowen and we where just wondering what the town was like and if it would be worth taking a bus down to see it for a day.

cairns
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 32
7. Re: Bowen australia?

HI

To far for a day on the bus

Regards mosiewigs

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
8. Re: Bowen australia?

It's a 6.5 hour drive ... in a car.

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Bowen australia?

Bowen's cool - you'll like it. The beaches are in my opinion some of the nicest in mainland nth qld.

if you do go take note of the width of every street. they'd be at least 6-8 lanes wide. apparently the guy who designed the town originally had plans for it to be the capital of qld one day.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
10. Re: Bowen australia?

Bowen is absolutely horrible! Just becsuse it has some of the most beautiful beaches in QLD, acess the reef for free some beaches have fringeing reefs. The film Australia was mainly filmed here and surrounds. It's the dry tropics so the humidity is lower, though this is a main mining area and Bowen is the "big smoke" for miners and accomadation and most prices are very high! It's vile don't go there it's so bad after my first visit I had to go back 40 odd times just to see how bad it is!