We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR in June or August?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manila
reviews: 2
GBR in June or August?

We are deciding on a 15 day australian tour either starting last week of june or last week of august...one must do for us is snorkel/dive the great barrier reef.

We really wanted to go on june because it fits perfectly with our schedule but, if it's cold to swim then we don't have a choice but take them on august. Is the temperature difference on those times much different? my wife gets cold easily that's why i am hesitating. if she will not enjoy the water then maybe we should move in to last week of august

If anybody has an idea on gbr on this forum, will appreciate any input, too..thanks!

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
1. Re: GBR in June or August?

Wasn't there an almost identical question a day or two ago?

Edit: Oops, sorry, it was you, the avatar didn't look familiar but the Jun/Aug very much did.

Edited: 9:40 am, April 22, 2013
manila
2. Re: GBR in June or August?

hi macknee, i did post a question for sydney but, wanted a better feel for the grat barrier reef on bothe times..

Brooklyn, New York...
3. Re: GBR in June or August?

the water will be warmer in June rather than August anyways

http://www.visitcairns.com.au/weather.htm

Cairns, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 104
4. Re: GBR in June or August?

June can be pretty busy and if you are thinking June,I would start to book very soon. There are school holidays and a lot of overseas visitors and tour groups around this month. August is also great up here and still warm and fine. Both are excellent months to visit so do what fits your schedule best!

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 57
5. Re: GBR in June or August?

I have snorkelled on the reef at various times during the year and it will be warmer in August. Even in November -I have had a westuit on- but also that was for stingers.

If she does feel the cold, suggest she wears both a stinger suit and wetsuit. She should be able to last in the water maybe 15 mins a time.

I would book August

Balgal Beach Nth...
reviews: 9
6. Re: GBR in June or August?

The water temp can get down to 21-22 degrees June-July and it should warm a little by August in my experience. That's OK for a short snorkel but wetsuit preferred.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: GBR in June or August?

there is no way on earth the water is warmer in August. It's 27 degree's now and cooling down. So there is no way that August is warmer than June - no way on earth.

And trust me - I'm a dive instructor who works in Cairns 6 months out of every year (and those 6 months always contain June and August)

Nantes, France
reviews: 18
8. Re: GBR in June or August?

june can be warmer than august but temperature difference will be low. the real question is "when i will have the best opportunity to whales?!" ahahah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 509
9. Re: GBR in June or August?

Hi,

The water temp will be warm enough to swim in June or August in Nth Qld. Its the perfect time to visit as its out of stinger season. www.marinestingers.com.au In the winter months (June - August), the water temperature can vary between 21 C and 23 C.

The Humpback Whale season in Cairns is at it’s peak from July to September.

reefmagiccruises.com/whale-watching-tours-ca…

cairnsdiveadventures.com/whale-watching-on-t…

Hervey bay is one of the best whale watching locations in the Queensland region.

10. Re: GBR in June or August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 17, 2014