We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Hello! I am going up to Cairns in May and I want to see the Great Barrier Reef. I am looking for a good tour where you get to see the reef. I don't have diving license. I am a good swimmer.

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

go snorkelling.

plenty of tours to the outer reef from both cairns and port douglas.

some of them are 'snorkel only' which would be my preferred option.

'wavelength' out of PD is particularly good.

Edited: 8:53 pm, April 17, 2013
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Thanks for your reply! I got a bus pas to Cairns so it will be very practical if there was a good snorkel tour in Cairns

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 25
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

You can also do introductory scuba dives without a licence. Snorkelling is great though, loads of trips from cairns. Enjoy.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
4. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Luvex, if you go to the top of this page and click "Things to Do" and then click "Activities", there will be a compilation of activities to do in the Cairns area, including many snorkel/dive tours to the GBR. You can read the reviews of these various boat companies and choose one that suits your interests.

I have snorkeled many times on the GBR, but all of my trips have been out of Port Douglas so I have no personal experience with the ones out of Cairns.

Cairns, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairns
reviews: 110
5. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Living in Cairns and diving/snorkeling regularly I would suggest Passions of Paradise or Ocean Free. Both leave from the Reef Fleet Terminal and are whole day trips. The snorkeling area at Michelmas Cay is really snorkeler friendly with heaps of sea life and a mix of shallow and deeper waters. The sand cay in the middle of the open ocean is a pretty stunning site.

Edited: 8:47 pm, April 19, 2013
Los Angeles...
6. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

you'll have lots of options, probably about 100 or so!

I'd be wary of michelmas cay if you don't like the smell of bird poo - the island is covered with it. It was so smelly we couldn't wait to get back to our boat

Auckland Region...
7. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Why not try a Discover Scuba? Snorkeling is great but not as great as diving (just my opinion of course). I got started diving with a Discover Scuba in Thailand. Enjoyed it so much I went out again the next day! When I came back to NZ I started the full Open Water dive course and a great new hobby.

8. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

Do you need license to go scuba diving? Because I am living on a tight budget and can't afford the license.

Auckland Region...
9. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

A Discover Scuba trip will be slightly more expensive than diving as a certified diver, because they have to cover the cost of the safety training you need to do before the trip It usually takes two or three hours either on the morning of the trip or the day before, and it isn't much more expensive than a similar trip would cost a certified diver. Discover Scuba is MUCH cheaper than the fill open water dive certification course, which isn't really a holiday activity IMO.

I hope the budget can stretch to a Discover Scuba trip. But be warned - if you fall in love with diving it will cost you megabucks!

10. Re: Great Barrier Reef, no diving license

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 03, 2014