We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should I book accom now for 21st june or wait for last min...

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
should I book accom now for 21st june or wait for last min...

Hi,

We will be travelling to Cairns for the first time.

Was just wondering whether to book our accommodation for 2 now, or wait for last minute deals?

Similarly for the activities like snorkelling, white water rafting and Kuranda skyrail. Should I pre-book now or should I only look for the local tours when I am there in person?

Usually, are the local tour deals or the online deals better?

Any suggestions for budget accommodation and which reef tour to travel with? I've been surfing online for a few weeks now and still have NO idea which reef trip to take. They all look not bad.

Thanks very much for your help.

I'll be there from the 21st to 24th of June. Is that the peak period for Cairns yet ?

singapore
21. Re: should I book accom now for 21st june or wait for last min...

Hello tjnyc.

No problems with regards to the post. It's thanks to all these helpful people who provided me with very helpful advice that made my last minute planning easier too.

I've only settled my accommodation for now. Finally!!

As for the reef trip, I've yet to decide which one to take.

In fact, from what I've been hearing, booking the tours when you are there seem to be the better option. Even the motel/hostel that I am going to stay in, advised that. The person told me it will be much cheaper if we book it locally, and there are many more local tours than what we can find online.

However, having said that, I guess the online ones are more established too, and many others have tried their services to provide good feedback.

For Kuranda, the motel/hostel told me to book it when I am there too.

I've only booked a white water rafting trip so far, because of my time constraints. But I did it through the motel I am stayin with. Jus thought it would be more convenient when I get there.

Unsure about the Port Douglas aspect because I won't have time to travel up. So, let's hope someone else answers your query.

Thanks again to those helpful people who answered us.

:)

Australia
22. Re: should I book accom now for 21st june or wait for last min...

tinyc

Your idea is good,but if you're looking at coming up to Port for a few days,why not do the reef from Port?

Admittedly,you will probably pay more,but Port is the closest point to the outer reef,so less travelling time to get there and more time in the water.

The drive from Cairns to Port is just beautiful, but I would advise to do it in daylight to take advantage of the great views of the coastline and Coral Sea. It is a winding road at quite a few stages but if you take it easy you will have no problems.It should take you an hour but with stops perhaps allow another half hour.There are quite a few spots that are marked in advance, for you to pull over for photos if you wish.

Cape Tribulation is achievale in a day from Port Douglas and again is a great drive, not winding like the Cairns to Port,although once past the other side of the Daintree River there is a small section of winding road. Make sure you pick up a free map on the Cape Tribulation area which will give you a good idea on places to stop at.

I would suggest that you look at some accommodation in advance as Port will be filling up fast this weekend with the state of Victoria on school holidays marking the start of the "Season" in Port Douglas.

23. Re: should I book accom now for 21st june or wait for last min...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 16, 2009