We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip to Laura

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick
reviews: 15
Side trip to Laura

We are driving up to Cooktown from Trinity Beach and staying over night during November during our 14 day stay.

Now there is a sealed road to Laura is it worth a side trip on our return to see the rock art?

As time is limited any advice which site to visit or tour to take once in Laura would be appreciated.

Brisbane, Qld
reviews: 24
1. Re: Side trip to Laura

We were in Cooktown for 4 nights early Feb. Laura was our things to do list, but ran out of time. It appears to be about 2.5 hours each way from Cooktown, so an all day excursion really. And you don't want to be on the roads around Cooktown late afternoon - unfenced with cattle wandering everwhere, plus the usual roos.

Also one of the locals said to check before going as some rock art areas can be closed during the wet, though November should be OK.

Warwick
2. Re: Side trip to Laura

Thank you, we intend to leave early from Cooktown on return to Trinity Beach and visit Laura to spend 2-3 hours in town/area.

Dont mind the Roos they are a novelty to us Brits.

Brisbane, Qld
reviews: 24
3. Re: Side trip to Laura

Not sure how much you know about Roos and driving on outback roads in Aust. Basically Roos have very little road sense, and will jump out in front cars when you don't expect it. They can cause a lot of damage and you don't want that in a hire car. The Cooktown road is thick with Roos and wandering cattle especially early morning and late afternoon. The road is quite good with 110km/h speed limit in some areas, and very little traffic. However if there are cattle or Roos near the road, you have to slow down. We had to stop a couple of times for cattle wandering on the road.

Your plan is probably doable, but suggest you do some research on time you need to have in Laura to see the rock art.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 91
4. Re: Side trip to Laura

motorists who have hit kangaroos whilst driving have been known to be killed or badly injured. Afraid they are no novelty here. Wandering cattle are even worse so my tip is drive carefully, not too fast, beware of the road conditions and don't drive on dusk or at night.

Oz
reviews: 32
5. Re: Side trip to Laura

Hi,

If you make it without a roo bonnet emblem......."tell Laura I love her"..........

Cheers,

Warwick
6. Re: Side trip to Laura

Thanks all, we have simular problems with sheep and deer in areas of uk, when i said noveltity, i should have said slowing down to watch them. I will be on holiday so in no rush to get from a to b.

Cairns
reviews: 23
7. Re: Side trip to Laura

Laura is alittle out of the way so ring ahead before heading out. Accidents can occur with alot of wildlife on the roads so take care :) I reccomend an organised tour in Cooktown. Check out http://m.guurrbitours.com/

Cooktown is a beautiful. Have a fantastic trip

8. Re: Side trip to Laura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014