We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan or Apartment HELP

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
Campervan or Apartment HELP

Hi Guys,

I just really want to get some advice... We are planning on going to Cairns in July we really want to visit the Great Barrier Reef. My parents are travelling from Ireland so we really want to show them things they may never experience again.

My question is should we get a campervan or stay in Cairns? I would like a campervan which we have all done in Exmouth for a week last July and loved but my partner thinks as Cairns is built up would it not be better to get an appartment as how will we get around Cairns with a van but im trying to tell him we wont be staying in Cairns that there are loads of places to visit up the coast but maybe im wrong

Would really love some feedback as we are at a total loss

Thanks

Balgal Beach Nth...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Campervan or Apartment HELP

A nice apartment in Cairns and a car will get you everywhere you want to go without stress.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
reviews: 14
2. Re: Campervan or Apartment HELP

I agree with Whiteman - everywhere you are likely to want to explore is mostly within about a 2-hour drive both north, south and west of Cairns so having a base there makes sense, and your own car gives you so much flexibility without having to worry where to park your campervan every night.

In July do be beware of school holidays when caravan parks and camping grounds will be very busy - also many hotels and apartments. Queensland school holidays end on 8 July but NSW and Vic schools are on holiday till 15th, and we get a LOT of southern visitors then, escaping their winter chill! In fact late June to the end of September is our busiest time of year here in the Far North.

You could also consider splitting your stay between Cairns and, say, Port Douglas which is a more relaxed holiday destination and closer to the rainforest. It's just as easy to visit the Great Barrier Reef from either place - but do make sure you take a tour to the outer reef for the best experience. Some cruises only take you to inner-reef islands and sand cays.

Edited: 1:25 am, January 23, 2013
3. Re: Campervan or Apartment HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 25, 2014